Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Lawrence Giam <it...@globalitcreations.com> on 2007/06/28 07:55:55 UTC

Setting up JMX

Hi,

I have installed the followings on my test server which is running Debian
Etch R0:
1. Tomcat 6.0.13
2. JDK 1.6u1
3. ActiveMQ 4.1.1

I was trying to set up the JMX to monitor ActiveMQ but I can't seem to get
it working. I have followed the instructions given on ActiveMQ site. Below
are the configuration of ActiveMQ.

/conf/activemq.xml
    <!-- Use the following to configure how ActiveMQ is exposed in JMX -->
    <managementContext>
              <managementContext createConnector="false"/>
    </managementContext>

/bin/activemq
SUNJMX="-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote=true
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=4001
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false"
ACTIVEMQ_OPTS="$ACTIVEMQ_OPTS $SUNJMX"

I have taken out the SSL so the ActiveMQ startup without SSL options but
when I do a "netstat -ln", the jmxremote.port 4001 is not there.

Next I tried the followings:
/conf/activemq.xml
    <!-- Use the following to configure how ActiveMQ is exposed in JMX -->
    <managementContext>
       <managementContext connectorPort="1080" jmxDomainName="test.org"/>
    </managementContext>

When I tried to start ActiveMQ, I got this error message
"WARN  ManagementContext - Failed to start jmx connector:
javax.naming.OperationNotSupportedException"

Next I tried the method that was mentioned in
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/monitoring.html, I am able to use
jConsole to connect to my test server but I cannot see the ActiveMQ queue in
it.

Can someone tell me how to configure the JMX in ActiveMQ?

Thanks.