Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Ph...@continental-corporation.com on 2013/03/01 17:22:41 UTC

Re: support for xpointer

Hi Michael,

What would you recommend me if i want to be able to "xpoint" elements or
attributes with an approach close to xpointer scheme (xpath like)?
Is it possible to extend the xpointer framework to extend xerces so that
it can handle different scheme than the one already implemented ?
Is there other parsers supporting such xpath xpointer scheme ?

kind regards
Philippe

De :    Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>
A :     j-users@xerces.apache.org
Date :  27/02/2013 15:22
Objet : Re: support for xpointer

Hi Philippe,

The goal at the time we were working on this was conformance to the
XInclude 1.0 specification [1] which only requires support for the
XPointer Framework and XPointer element() scheme.

Thanks.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/#application

Michael Glavassevich
XML Technologies and WAS Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Philippe.Favrais@continental-corporation.com wrote on 22/02/2013 10:49:48
AM:

> Hello Michael,
>
> Thank you for the reply.
> In my case, i wanted to use xpointer mainly in the context of xinclude.
> I do not well understand the reasons why only a part of xpointer has
> been implemented (only the scheme element (e.g.:
xpointer="element(/1/1/1)"))

Re: support for xpointer

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Philippe,

Philippe.Favrais@continental-corporation.com wrote on 01/03/2013 11:22:41
AM:

> Hi Michael,
>
> What would you recommend me if i want to be able to "xpoint"
> elements or attributes with an approach close to xpointer scheme (xpath
like)?

My impression of XPointer (which could be wrong) is that it didn't really
take off in the industry. The xpointer() scheme never became a W3C
Recommendation, meaning the W3C has not endorsed it as a standard. Given
that it's still a working draft and hasn't been updated since 2002 I'd
consider it abandoned at this point from a standardization perspective.

I think someone defined an xpath() scheme as an alternative to xpointer()
but I haven't looked at it and I'm not aware of where it might be
supported.

> Is it possible to extend the xpointer framework to extend xerces so
> that it can handle different scheme than the one already implemented ?

It is technically possible to write more scheme handlers for Xerces.

> Is there other parsers supporting such xpath xpointer scheme ?

I'm not aware of any.