Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2012/03/28 19:20:17 UTC

CFF Font Embedding (was Re: Here Comes MXMLC!)

On 3/28/12 5:31 AM, "olegsivokon@gmail.com" <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes Martin, I understood the legal problem. I was just wondering what is
> particular about the code that it cannot be replaced by other (modified)
> font managers. As you probably know, there are 4 managers currently in SDK
> which can encode fonts using somewhat different techniques, but only one
> can encode them in a way they fit for the use with the FTE classes. This
> is, I assume, the one Alex is talking about. So my question was rather:
>
> what if we take on of the existing managers and modify it so it will
> generate DefineFont4 tags - how much of an effort will it require? Or maybe
> the technology itself is patented (I doubt this very much... but you never
> know)?

I'm still trying to make sure I understand both the technical and legal
issues.  I see specs for CFF and DefineFont4, but there are rumors that the
conversion is currently done via proprietary algorithms.  If we (Apache
Flex) just write our own, there may be a quality issue.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: CFF Font Embedding (was Re: Here Comes MXMLC!)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/4/12 9:30 AM, "Martin Heidegger" <mh...@leichtgewicht.at> wrote:

> As I search about implementing fonts in haXe i stumbled upon this [1]. I
> have to say hxswfml is easier to read than the fontforge source.
An update:  Adobe is still investigating what it would take to make a set of
JARs available to Apache.

The fontswf utility is only available in the full Adobe Flex SDK.  Someone
would have to have an Adobe license then could create SWFs with fonts in
them that can be embedded into Apache Flex SWFs.

I've been told that DefineFont4 is really just a blog of CFF data, so any
utility that can convert other fonts to CFF has a chance of working.

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
As I search about implementing fonts in haXe i stumbled upon this [1]. I
have to say hxswfml is easier to read than the fontforge source.

yours
Martin.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/hxswfml/source/detail?spec=svn118&r=117

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
On 29/03/2012 02:20, Alex Harui wrote:
> I'm still trying to make sure I understand both the technical and legal
> issues.  I see specs for CFF and DefineFont4, but there are rumors that the
> conversion is currently done via proprietary algorithms.  If we (Apache
> Flex) just write our own, there may be a quality issue.

Converting <any-font-format> to <otf> is not properly defined, as far as
I know. Also: the various
font formats have different capabilities and not all cases are 100%
clear. That means that any
algorithm will work slightly different. Additionally: If Adobe
"improved" the algorithms to a
a non-straight conversion but flash focused conversion then that's
hidden knowledge (nowhere
documented etc.). I do not see the effort to try to reverse engineer the
algorithm as appropriate.
May the new version be Apache Flexy.

yours
Martin.

Re: CFF Font Embedding (was Re: Here Comes MXMLC!)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/28/12 11:00 AM, "Om" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I hope the solution we come up with will work for Falcon as well.
>>

> We == Adobe?

We == Apache Flex

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
> I hope the solution we come up with will work for Falcon as well.

We == Adobe?

I am wondering if there is anything at all that Apache Flex can do in terms
of solving this problem.

Re: CFF Font Embedding (was Re: Here Comes MXMLC!)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.