Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Raghu Uppalli <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2004/05/02 05:44:17 UTC

option equivalent to cvs's -n

Hi all,
  Is there an option in subversion corresponding to
the handy -n option in cvs.

Re: option equivalent to cvs's -n

Posted by Travis P <sv...@castle.fastmail.fm>.
On May 3, 2004, at 10:48 AM, John Peacock wrote:

> Travis P wrote:
>
>> The useful information that 'cvs -n update' provides but 'svn status
>> -u' does
>> not is whether or not a conflict will occur.  Knowing whether a
>> conflict will
>> occur prior to updating (or switching, the more general case) would
>> be very useful. It lets me know how much time I might need to
>> allocate fixing things
>> up were I to update/switch.  If there's no conflict, no time need be
>> spend resolving conflicts.
>
> You might check out svk, which has a smart merge feature including an
> explicit check phase:
>
> 	http://svk.elixus.org/
>
> It does require a private local repository to mirror the remote
> repository.  See in particular the Tutorial page for daily usage
> examples.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I think svk is an interesting project, but
it is not the right solution in my environment.  Most obviously, local
repositories aren't appropriate as developers use networked filesystems
for almost everything (our cental Subversion repository being a
particular exception).

-Travis

Re: option equivalent to cvs's -n

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Travis P wrote:

> The useful information that 'cvs -n update' provides but 'svn status -u' does
> not is whether or not a conflict will occur.  Knowing whether a conflict will
> occur prior to updating (or switching, the more general case) would be very
> useful. It lets me know how much time I might need to allocate fixing things
> up were I to update/switch.  If there's no conflict, no time need be spend
> resolving conflicts.

You might check out svk, which has a smart merge feature including an explicit
check phase:

	http://svk.elixus.org/

It does require a private local repository to mirror the remote repository.  See
in particular the Tutorial page for daily usage examples.

HTH

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: option equivalent to cvs's -n

Posted by Travis P <sv...@castle.fastmail.fm>.
On May 3, 2004, at 9:47 AM, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 02:01, Bryan Dyck wrote:
>> Hi Raghu...
>>
>> Just as an FYI, there's a very comprehensive online Subversion manual
>> at <http://svnbook.red-bean.com/>.
>
> The two commands which change your working copy are 'svn update' and
> 'svn merge'.  The --dry-run option is for previewing a merge.  To
> preview an update, run 'svn status -u' and look for asterisks.

The useful information that 'cvs -n update' provides but 'svn status
-u' does not
is whether or not a conflict will occur.  Knowing whether a conflict
will occur
prior to updating (or switching, the more general case) would be very
useful.
It lets me know how much time I might need to allocate fixing things up
were I to update/switch.  If there's no conflict, no time need be spend
resolving
conflicts.

I was disappointed just this past weekend to find that update and switch
had no --dry-run switch. Is there any technique to get this information?

-Travis

Re: option equivalent to cvs's -n

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Bryan Dyck <bd...@mac.com>.
Hi Raghu...

Just as an FYI, there's a very comprehensive online Subversion manual
at <http://svnbook.red-bean.com/>.

Anyway, I remembered seeing something similar to the '-n' option among
the different svn command-line switches, and indeed there is:

--dry-run:
Goes through all the motions of running a command, but makes no actual
changes—either on disk or in the repository.

I've not tried it myself, but I would imagine that if you add the
'--verbose' option, it would give you similar results to 'cvs -n'.. a
full list of svn command-line switches is located at
<http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/ch09.html#svn-ch-9-sect-1.1>.

Cheers,
Bryan