Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/29 06:03:06 UTC

Updated snapshot jars

Hello all,

This afternoon I updated the snapshot jars posted on the downloads
page. It would be great for anyone interested in the Derby network
client driver which was recently added to the trunk (10.1.0.0 alpha),
or any other recently added feature or bugfix in which you are
interested, to test them out and report your findings. Those interested
in testing Derby on their favorite platform/JVM will find the
corresponding derbyTesting.jar in the snapshot file. Also, please note
that the zip snapshots were generated on Windows and the tar.gz
snapshots were generated on Unix, so text files in the snapshots should
have the proper line endings.

Here are the highlights for each new snapshot:

10.1.0.0 alpha - FOR TESTING ONLY. Please see the warning about using
alpha releases on the downloads page:

http://incubator.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html#Development+trunk

- Derby network client driver added. Use the included derbyclient.jar
in place of db2jcc.jar. Additional information on its use can be found
in the functional specification attached to this post:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.db.derby.devel/2960
- DATE and TIMESTAMP functions which correctly match the documentation
- First phase of online compress functionality
- Derby-176: queries with extensive joins no longer cause java linkage
error
- Derby-186: Set currentPosition for scrollable cursors when moving
past the last row
- Derby-134: Improvement to allow ordering by expressions, instead of
correlation names or column positions only.
- Derby-96: beginning support for recovery from out-of-order log records
- Derby-106: spill BackingStoreHashTables to disk to prevent out of
memory errors in hash joins
- DERBY-158: PRIMARY KEY does not imply NOT NULL
- INTERSECT/EXCEPT support
- Preliminary JSR169 support
- Snapshot includes demo and scripts
- Fixed Eclipse plugin version specification
- Lots more that I've left out :-)

10.0.2.2 - please note that this is not an official release
- LOCAL is no longer a reserved keyword
- Demos and scripts included in the snapshot
- Fixed Eclipse plugin version specification

A full list of fixed bugs in each version can be found here:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?
id=10594&subset=-1

andrew

Re: Updated snapshot jars

Posted by Dan Scott <de...@gmail.com>.
One more observation on Linux using the tar.gz download today:

Every shell script (e.g. frameworks/NetworkServer/bin/ij.ksh) appears
to have a similarly named file with ".rej" appended. Is that the
result of a failed patch script that didn't get caught?

Dan

Re: Updated snapshot jars

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <fu...@sbcglobal.net>.
On Apr 30, 2005, at 10:19 AM, Dan Scott wrote:

> One quick observation:
>
> setNetworkServerCP.bat sets the CLASSPATH to point to the derby.jar,
> etc. files in DERBY_INSTALL/lib/ -- however, in the ZIP file the jar
> files are in the root directory. I had to modify setNetworkSetCP.bat
> accordingly to get the CLASSPATH set up correctly.
>
> At a minimum, either the batch file should be updated, or the zip file
> should be placed entirely within a /lib/  directory (which is kind of
> a generic name.)

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the feedback. In the future, I'll put the jars into a lib
directory so the scripts find the files in the expected path, and put
the entire contents into a subdirectory so that the files aren't
extracted into the current directory when unpacking the achive.

andrew

Re: Updated snapshot jars

Posted by Dan Scott <de...@gmail.com>.

Re: Updated snapshot jars