Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by "Joben O. Rara" <jo...@barfarm.com> on 2004/09/13 16:29:08 UTC

Log4net and chainsaw

Hi everyone.

I d/l chainsaw v2 and tried to load an xml formatted log file from log4net.
It does not seem to do anything. I used drag&drop and open/load file...both
to no avail.

1. Do they actually play together? I've read from the release notes that
they do. Has anyone gotten it to work? It seems so straightforward to me but
<scratches head> :(

2. I saw a message in the status bar..No VFS. Is this related to the problem
at hand?

Im using log4net beta8 and chainsaw v2 running on J2SE 1.4.2_05 (build b04)
- runtime only

RE: Log4net and chainsaw

Posted by Mike Blake-Knox <mi...@knology.net>.
I'm using Chainsaw with log4net. I didn't need to make any changes to have
it read a log file written by the log4net RollingFileAppender with
XmlLayoutSchemaLog4j (although log4net's timestamp needed to be revised).
"Out of the box" it doesn't tail an XML log file so I wrote an
XMLLogFileAppender. I didn't need any changes for Chainsaw to work with
log4net's UdpAppender.

I'm actually pretty impressed by how easy the Web Start was to get running.
At time I did this, I needed to manually edit the ChainsawConfig.xml file; I
don't know if this is still required.

The build of Chainsaw isn't error free (there are about 37 Javadoc warnings)
and there is an exception to do with VFS.

I'm using it with an old build of log4net so YMMV.

Mike Blake-Knox
email: MBlake-Knox@tsystsol.com
TSYS Office: (706) 644-3643