Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2002/09/01 08:05:51 UTC

DTD locations?

Hi,

We got any standard for locating DTDs? Currently I have been storing them at
locations like

http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/Foo.dtd
http://jakarta.apache.org/phoenix/Bar.dtd
etc.

However I expect to see more of these little dtds arise over time. Phoenix
alone may be looking a separate DTDs for
* 2 different component models
* role descriptors
* manifest descriptors
* assembly descriptors
* classloader descriptors
* management descriptors
* security descriptors?

Is there a preferred location for all of these? Is
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/Foo.dtd good enough and we live with the
fact that there may be 15-20 sitting there. Or do we chuck them in something
like

http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/Foo.dtd

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
Sufficiently advanced science is
 indistinguishable from magic"
               -- Arthur C. Clarke

Re: DTD locations?

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> I consider keeping DTDs separate from normal web documents a Good Thing.
> Hence, I'd **really** like them all to be in some directory relative to
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds
>
> Whether it should then be
>

> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/phoenix/metadata.dtd
>
> or
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/metadata.dtd
>
> or
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/phoenix-metadata.dtd
>
> or
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/phoenix/metadata-1.1.dtd
>
> or
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/2002/phoenix/metadata-1.1.dtd
>
> depends on the DTD scope and amount of DTDs we are likely to publish.
>
> Following practices from W3C and the like, and considering there is not
> and might not be anytime soon a common repository for jakarta DTDs, I
> suggest we follow this convention:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/		\
> 	{PUBLISHING-YEAR}/{SCOPING-SPEC}/{name}-{version}.dtd

Don't see any value in the {PUBLISHING-YEAR}.  It does not seem to me tp
provide additional value.  It is much more convinient to be able to look
in one place for all of the DTD relative to a particular scope.

> If a DTD is common throughout avalon, {SCOPING-SPEC} is left out.

+1

> so it becomes
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/2002/phoenix/metadata-1.1.dtd
> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/2002/merlin/metadata-1.3.2.dtd

Would would also suggest the inclusion of the lastest version:

   http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/merlin/metadata.dtd

The above URL can be referenced in documetation without concern for the
specific version identifiers.

Combining this with the elimination of the year would result in
something like:

   http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/phoenix/metadata-1.1.dtd
   http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/phoenix/metadata.dtd

   http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/merlin/metadata-1.3.2.dtd
   http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/merlin/metadata.dtd

Cheers, Steve.

> and if we all ever really do get to agree on some commmon standards:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/2007/metadata-1.0.dtd
>
> In the event that a DTD is being worked upon but not considered
> "endorsed" yet, the version part of the DTD url should reflect this. It
> might thus be we will have
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/2003/metadata-0901-draft.dtd
>
> I think this setup will satisfy all concerns and is also quite workable.
> If this is agreed upon the naming convention page should probably be
> updated.
>
> regards,
>
> Leo Simons
>
> On Sun, 2002-09-01 at 08:05, Peter Donald wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>We got any standard for locating DTDs? Currently I have been storing them at
>>locations like
>>
>>http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/Foo.dtd
>>http://jakarta.apache.org/phoenix/Bar.dtd
>>etc.
>>
>>However I expect to see more of these little dtds arise over time. Phoenix
>>alone may be looking a separate DTDs for
>>* 2 different component models
>>* role descriptors
>>* manifest descriptors
>>* assembly descriptors
>>* classloader descriptors
>>* management descriptors
>>* security descriptors?
>>
>>Is there a preferred location for all of these? Is
>>http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/Foo.dtd good enough and we live with the
>>fact that there may be 15-20 sitting there. Or do we chuck them in something
>>like
>>
>>http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/Foo.dtd
>>

>>--
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Peter Donald
>>Sufficiently advanced science is
>> indistinguishable from magic"
>>               -- Arthur C. Clarke
>>

>>--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Re: DTD locations?

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.

Re: DTD locations?

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 1 Sep 2002 17:56, Paul Hammant wrote:
> >and we live with the
> >fact that there may be 15-20 sitting there. Or do we chuck them in
> > something like
> >
> >http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/Foo.dtd
>
> +1
>
> Should we update them with an Ant target copying to jakarta-avalon-site
> or my hand ?

Ideally it should be automated.

So we will put all new DTDs into http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds

Existing ones that are required to stay where they are (essentially the
phoenix ones) will stay there while the new ones (component info, type,
mxinfo, security etc) will all go there. Sounds like a plan.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
 Mark Twain: "In the real world, the right thing never
happens in the right place at the right time. It is
the task of journalists and historians to rectify
this error."

Re: DTD locations?

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

>Is there a preferred location for all of these? Is
>http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/Foo.dtd good enough

-1

>and we live with the
>fact that there may be 15-20 sitting there. Or do we chuck them in something
>like
>
>http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/Foo.dtd

+1

Should we update them with an Ant target copying to jakarta-avalon-site
or my hand ?

- Paul

Re: DTD locations?

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> Today every DTD is relative to package.
>

> Which is PITA for some dtds.
>
>> Isn't is the packages responsibility to publish it?
>

> yes...
>
>> E.g. http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/pheonix/dtd/... for something
>> related to Phoneix, or
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/meta/dtd/ for soemthing
>> relative to the Excalibur Meta Model Project. There isn't any
>> requirement for a pool of DTDs as such.
>

> There is.
>
> As I have clearly showed, there is no thechnical reason why general DTDs
> such as the meta descriptors cannot be standardized upon.

Agreed.

> If a DTD is generic enough, it should be standard.
> Keeping all DTDs in one place ensures that others will see them promptly
> and collaborate on them.
>
> So I'm +1 to have all DTDs that are common in
>
>   http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/Foo.dtd
>
> All DTDs that pertain *solely* to specific implementations go in
>
>   http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/imp-name/Foo.dtd
>
> For example, the xinfo DTD will go in avalon/dtd, while the extension
> dtd goes into avalon/extension/xt.dtd

Sounds good to me - promotion following concensus.

Cheers, Steve.

Re: DTD locations?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Today every DTD is relative to package.

Which is PITA for some dtds.

> Isn't is the packages responsibility to publish it?

yes...

> E.g.
> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/pheonix/dtd/... for something related
> to Phoneix, or http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/meta/dtd/ for
> soemthing relative to the Excalibur Meta Model Project. There isn't any
> requirement for a pool of DTDs as such.

There is.

As I have clearly showed, there is no thechnical reason why general DTDs
such as the meta descriptors cannot be standardized upon.

If a DTD is generic enough, it should be standard.
Keeping all DTDs in one place ensures that others will see them promptly
and collaborate on them.

So I'm +1 to have all DTDs that are common in

   http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/Foo.dtd

All DTDs that pertain *solely* to specific implementations go in

   http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/imp-name/Foo.dtd

For example, the xinfo DTD will go in avalon/dtd, while the extension
dtd goes into avalon/extension/xt.dtd

> Peter Donald wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We got any standard for locating DTDs? Currently I have been storing
>> them at locations like
>>
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/Foo.dtd
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/phoenix/Bar.dtd
>> etc.
>>
>> However I expect to see more of these little dtds arise over time.
>> Phoenix alone may be looking a separate DTDs for * 2 different
>> component models
>> * role descriptors
>> * manifest descriptors
>> * assembly descriptors
>> * classloader descriptors
>> * management descriptors
>> * security descriptors?
>>
>> Is there a preferred location for all of these? Is
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/Foo.dtd good enough and we live with
>> the fact that there may be 15-20 sitting there. Or do we chuck them in
>> something like
>>
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/Foo.dtd

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: DTD locations?

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Today every DTD is relative to package.
Isn't is the packages responsibility to publish it? E.g.