Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/10 09:50:28 UTC

Flash freeze for 60 seconds in Chrome

Hi Guys,

I am working on some Adobe Flex (v. 4.5.0) application (it using a lot of
javascript also through ExternalInterface) and from some time we are
noticing freeze of these application for 60 seconds in Google Chrome with
default Flash Player plugin.

I spend some time to optimize some logic in the application, but it didn't
help.

I'm wondering whether this could be problem with default Chrome flash
player.

If you guys had any similar problems - some information on that would be
precious.

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex Committer
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: Flash freeze for 60 seconds in Chrome

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
I would like to summarize my freeze problem in Chrome just for those of you
witch could have same problem.

I had two places witch caused freeze of whole application in Google Chrome

In both cases I had javascript function with lots of logic inside it. I have
called them from Flex app by ExternalInterface.

In first case I didn't recognize witch line of code in js function caused
freeze, as for the second case it was JQuery function.

My workaround for this problem was add timeout for logic inside js function:

ExternalInterface.call("myJSFunction"); - stopped in this place caused
freeze only in Google Chrome

function myJSFunction() {
   setTimeout(function(){
      //some logic caused freeze
  }, 50);
}

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Alex,

I have found yesterday that one of JQuery javascript function witch we are
using caused these freeze - app just stuck on ExternalInterface. I did some
workaround, tests passed.

Thanks,
Piotr

-----

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
My version of Safari claims to have JavaScript profiling.  Haven't tried
it, but maybe it would help?

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Om! :)
I will try it tomorrow. Yes I got it in a try catch.

Piotr

-----

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Try setting
ExternalInterface.marshallExceptions = true;
before making the ExternalInterface call.  Also enclose the call in a
try...catch.  If something is going wrong on the JS side, you should be
able to catch it with this setup.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.
If it happens in one player but not the other it's a player problem :)

Posted by João Fernandes <jo...@gmail.com>.
You could try to install the regular flash player (non debug) in chrome and
disable the default bundled with it.

On 10 September 2014 09:59, Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For my day to day browsing, I try to use the debug player in chrome,
> because I find it's performance is much better.  There seems to be some
> restrictions with the Pepper Flash api on what resources it can access vs
> NPAPI.  It's worth the time to isolate if it's a flash player version
> problem or a code problem on your side.
>
> brought to you by the letters A, V, and I
> and the number 47
>
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 10:50 AM, piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I am working on some Adobe Flex (v. 4.5.0) application (it using a lot of
> > javascript also through ExternalInterface) and from some time we are
> > noticing freeze of these application for 60 seconds in Google Chrome with
> > default Flash Player plugin.
> >
> > I spend some time to optimize some logic in the application, but it
> didn't
> > help.
> >
> > I'm wondering whether this could be problem with default Chrome flash
> > player.
> >
> > If you guys had any similar problems - some information on that would be
> > precious.
> >
> > Piotr
> >

> > -----
> > Apache Flex Committer
> > piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com
> > --

João Fernandes

Re: Flash freeze for 60 seconds in Chrome

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.