Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Pacheco, Brent" <Br...@mail.dor.state.mo.us> on 2003/11/10 19:07:21 UTC

Struts/Websphere 4.0.1/Session Database Issues

Howdy all!

I'm new to the list.  I've searched the archives and the web and exhausted
all my other resources, so I thought I'd post something to the list and see
if anyone had ever run across this issue before.  So, thanks in advance for
reading my post.

I've been using Struts now for about 9 months or so, and just upgraded my
application from Struts 1.1 Beta to the Struts 1.1 Release.  I'm deploying
my Struts application to WebSphere 4.0.1 on an OS390 mainframe.  I'm using
the GenericDataSource classes in the Struts-Legacy-1.0.jar file to connect
to a DB2 database, which also resides on the mainframe.

The application ran perfectly fine under Struts 1.1 Beta for several months
(without the Struts-Legacy-1.0 dependency). However, after upgrading to the
Release code about two weeks ago, we are now experiencing issues with the
Session database timing out and then locking up completely, forcing a
recycle of the webservers at least once daily.  Right before the server
recycled the last time, the logs showed the following dump:

Full thread dump Classic VM (J2RE 1.3.1 IBM OS/390 Persistent Reusable VM
build hm131s-20020207, native threads:
"27d85600:8b:3e0002:35:Thread[Thread-12071,5,main]" (TID:0x1EEF09E0,
sys_thread_t:0x2A7F3530, state:R, native
ID:0x1B3AE300) prio=5
:at
org.apache.struts.legacy.GenericConnection.close(GenericConnection.java(Comp
iled Code))
:at
us.mo.state.dor.nol.data.InstitutionDataLink.populateByInstitutionNumber(Ins
titutionDataLink.java:385)

The line in question is merely "conn.close()" to return the connection back
to the Generic Data Source pool.  I have no idea why this is occurring.  If
anyone has any light to shed, including a different way to implement the
database connection to possibly circumvent the problem, it would be greatly
appreciated.

In addition, since upgrading to the Struts 1.1 release, literally thousands
of the following lines are being written out into the server log, clogging
it up on the server:

[INFO] GenericDataSource - -  getConnection()
[INFO] GenericDataSource - -   Check for timeout, activeCount=8, useCount=0
[INFO] GenericDataSource - -   Found available connection
[INFO] GenericDataSource - -   Return allocated connection, activeCount=8,
useCount=0
[INFO] GenericDataSource - -  releaseConnection(), activeCount=8, useCount=0

Is there any way to repress this?

Thanks so much!

Brent