Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/24 05:54:13 UTC

Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

I created a new release in JIRA and started assigning issues to it.

If anyone else has any features or bugs tro fix, then please add this
info to JIRA

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=12310850&fixfor=12314801

D.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Anne Kathrine Petterøe
<yo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ginaugo,
>
> Just to make sure I understand this correctly.
> When we create RCs from the tagged point release (like in this case RC1 from the 1.0 tagged release), we need to go through the voting process each time?

The RC1 is the tagged release. We don't have a 1.0 tagged release.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

<yo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to make sure I understand this correctly.
> When we create RCs from the tagged point release (like in this case RC1 from
> the 1.0 tagged release), we need to go through the voting process each time?...

If the goal is to distribute the result as a release, yes.

According to http://apache.org/dev/release.html a release is "anything
that is published beyond the group that owns it" - so if the goal is
just to create an SVN tag for the ESME community to decide if it's
technically fit as a release candidate, nothing formal is needed.

-Bertrand

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Well you being Mr. BPX and all...it is extremely funny to hear you say:
"I can't wait to try them out" in reference to Maven features ROFL

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
This is closed

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good to me too.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good to me.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
OK.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I only have two things to add here (assuming that this is the
> definition of a release within Apache):
>
> 1. My original concern: I think that nearly all the changes in JIRA
> that are assigned to Release-1.0-RC2 should be moved to something else
> called Release-1.1. We already agreed on a locked scope for release
> 1.0 and I don't think we should add anything to 1.0 release candidates
> aside from things we have agreed are blocking bugs. ESME-162 (mailto
> actions crash the server) is probably an example of something that
> should stay in Release-1.0-RC2.

Agreed but does that mean that just bug fixes are placed in Release-1.0-RCs.?

ESME-100 (finish Web UI) is an example
> of something that should *not* stay in Release-1.0-RC2.

> 2. Not to pick on our mentors, but this definition doesn't make any
> sense to me. It is aligned with the official Apache release definition
> at http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what but we've just moved
> the question from the definition of "release" to the definition of
> "the act of publishing it beyond the ESME group of developers (this
> mailing list)". If this is the definition of an Apache release, then
> the publicly accessible SVN repository is a release. I have a hard
> time believing that if I do an export from the ESME SVN repo and
> upload it to my people.apache.org page to facilitate testing that this
> constitutes a significantly different action from sending someone
> instructions on exporting the SVN repo themselves.

But you are forgetting the community aspect of voting.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.
Dick,

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@sourcesense.com>.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
I think there are different definitions of "release" that are confusing things.

One is a release from the perspective of ASF which is concerned with
the process (votes on the MLs, etc.) and certain legal requirements.
I think Gianugo's last email expresses this focus on this consensus.
What is released (alpha release, beta release, RC, etc.) is here not
the focus.

The other definition of release is more associated with the
development status of the software in question.

For me, the focus was more on the ASF definition of the release. My
main goal was to use the release to meet the legal requirements
(ESME-47 + other concerns) necessary as well as learn "how to release
code" which is one of the main criterion for becoming a TLP.   I also
see a release as a sign of a project's maturity. Obviously, the
current release isn't perfect - that is one of the reasons why I like
the idea of tagging it as a RC rather than our official release. If
you take a look at the the releases of the other projects in the
incubator, you will also see a variety of release names:
http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/

D.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@sourcesense.com>.
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:14 AM, Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How is publishing a tarball on a public site that is clearly labelled
> as a trial release and *not* for general consumption significantly
> different than making available a public SVN repository?

Maybe we're getting semantic cross-wires here, but an RC _is_ by
definition for general consumption. Much like alphas and betas, and
actually even more. To me it's something like:

- SVN and nightlies: designed for developers only, might not even compile
- alpha: hey community, care to give it a shot? chances are it will be
full of bugs, but we could use some help. Don't make it even get close
to production systems
- beta: hey public, we are almost ready and this is almost your final
chance to speak up. Give it a spin, please? And yes, bugs are expected
- don't use this in production unless you really know what you're
doing and we are a mile away (two if downwind)
- RCs: ok, unless we screwed something up really seriously, this is
close to golden master. If you are very brave and know your way, you
may actually use it in production, although it's not really a wise
thing to do. So speak up now, or forever hold your peace

In any case, the real difference is that SVN is a perpetually moving
target, with no agreement whatsoever from the community on what a
snapshot means. A release is just that: the developers agree that a
revision of the SVN tree is consistent enough to be packaged - so
there comes your need for explicit consensus.

Don't let the scars from this initial release process scare you too
much. Once the ball is rolling (with no major hiccups such as legal
crap), the release process _is_ lightweight enough and fits the
"release early, release often" bill.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@sourcesense.com>.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.
I don't think there really was an RC vs. point-release discussion.
That's what we're having right now, in addition to the rest of the
process discussion ;-)

My view is that we should not, as a rule, call a full Apache release a
"Release Candidate". I know it's just semantics, but I think it's
going to confuse the heck out of people (as it did me).

If we think that a release is ready to be deployed into production
environments by our users, then I think we should give it a
point-release name and we should go through the Apache release process
with it.

If we are cutting a tag into a trial release in order to help
ourselves figure out if we are ready to make a release, then I think
we should call it a "release candidate" and we should not go through
the full Apache release process and we should not "release" it. We
should just put the RC tarball out on the public site for people to
evaluate, and maybe do a vote on this list to determine if we have
consensus that we are ready to attempt a full release.

Of course, my view has extremely limited weight since I'm not doing
any of the actual release work!

Ethan

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@sourcesense.com>.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Ginaugo,

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@sourcesense.com>.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for starting this discussion Ethan.
I have actually been doing some thinking around this as well, mostly because I felt that voting for every RC and then the release itself might be a bit overkill. Release candidates should be for testing purposes only. If we vote on a release candidate (like we just did), then that RC will be the point-release.

I think your suggestion here is great and I am all for it:
Frozen JIRA release: 1.0
Release strategy: Frozen in a tag from trunk, then updates are made to
both tag and trunk and release candidates (1.0-RC1, 1.0-RC2) are cut
directly from the tag. If there are release-blocking issues with an
RC, then that ticket should go into the JIRA release that the RC was
cut from (1.0 in this case). Otherwise the issue should go into the
backlog.

- anne

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
I'd suggest fixing major bugs (like
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-162) in the RC1 branch and
putting new functionality in the trunk.

D.

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
Excellent points.....

Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

[...]

be open to veto. Developers should be encouraged to work on the issues