Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de> on 2002/09/23 18:31:09 UTC

cleaning up the store package

Hi Team,
the store package seems to be messed up a little bit. I had a private
chat with Vadim about this issue, too. How about:

- move the JispStore and Co. into the impl. directory.
- delete the double stuff, which is in Avalon excalibur, too.

At the moment we can't move the JispStore to Avalon because he
implements some important methods like looking up the work dir and cache
dir in the contextualize method. When we move the store to Avalon this
feature will disapperar and we only can set the cache dir in the
cocoon.xconf file.

That would be bad.

Maybe you have ideas.

- Gerhard

--

"don't let the bastards get you
live fast, live loud, just do it."

Blog at: http://radio.weblogs.com/0107791/

Re: cleaning up the store package

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Gerhard Froehlich wrote:
>
>>Hi Team,
>>the store package seems to be messed up a little bit. I had a private
>>chat with Vadim about this issue, too. How about:
>>
>>- move the JispStore and Co. into the impl. directory.
>
> -0 - For compatibility with 2.0.x it should stay as it is.
>

>>- delete the double stuff, which is in Avalon excalibur, too.
>
> -0 - Again for compatibility - if you have written a component for 2.0.x
> using a store than this component uses the Cocoon version.
> If we delete these deprecated classes, such a component will not
> run anymore and has to be changed. We should users give some
> time to adapt to new interfaces - so we can delete them in Cocoon 2.2.

Au yes of course. I relized this after I wrote this email. I'm a little
bit off topic@cocoon :->.

>>At the moment we can't move the JispStore to Avalon because he
>>implements some important methods like looking up the work dir and cache
>>dir in the contextualize method. When we move the store to Avalon this
>>feature will disapperar and we only can set the cache dir in the
>>cocoon.xconf file.
>>

> When I moved the file store, I added an abstract implementation to
> avalon and simply wrote a contextualizable implementation for cocoon
> inheriting from the abstract and setting the directories.
> You can find this in the cocoon.components.store.impl package.
> It's not the best solution, I know, but the implementation of the
> store is completly in Avalon now.

Ok then I'll do the same with the JispStore and put that abstraction
into the Cocoon package.

- Gerhard

--

"The most important question when any new
computer architecture is introduced is 'So what?'"

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Gerhard Froehlich wrote:
> Hi Team,
> the store package seems to be messed up a little bit. I had a private
> chat with Vadim about this issue, too. How about:
>
> - move the JispStore and Co. into the impl. directory.
-0 - For compatibility with 2.0.x it should stay as it is.

> - delete the double stuff, which is in Avalon excalibur, too.
-0 - Again for compatibility - if you have written a component for 2.0.x
using a store than this component uses the Cocoon version.
If we delete these deprecated classes, such a component will not
run anymore and has to be changed. We should users give some
time to adapt to new interfaces - so we can delete them in Cocoon 2.2.

> At the moment we can't move the JispStore to Avalon because he
> implements some important methods like looking up the work dir and cache
> dir in the contextualize method. When we move the store to Avalon this
> feature will disapperar and we only can set the cache dir in the
> cocoon.xconf file.

When I moved the file store, I added an abstract implementation to
avalon and simply wrote a contextualizable implementation for cocoon
inheriting from the abstract and setting the directories.
You can find this in the cocoon.components.store.impl package.
It's not the best solution, I know, but the implementation of the
store is completly in Avalon now.

Carsten