Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Bruce Robertson <br...@mta.ca> on 2003/12/02 19:29:53 UTC

Re: Using user-defined fonts in SVGs

Quoting Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>:

> > Normaly this would be no problem, as I am using the SVG-to-JPG
> > serializer. But it sems to slow down the whole process of image
> > generation.
>
> This is interesting. Have you actually done any benchmarks on this? In all
> my svg's i have always included the whole font definition without really
> thinking this could have a performance impact.
>

> > Is there a way to add fonts to cocoon without having to restart the VM?
> >

> Not sure. How are you currently referencing fonts? Have you tried posting
> this on the batik list?
>
> rgds
> Jorg

It is possible that my piece on embedding SVG fonts in the Cocoon wiki might be
apropos:
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Embedding_SVG_Fonts

This code will prepend scalable font glyphs to a given SVG document, and it only
prepends the glyphs necessary for the given document, a benefit when working
with large Unicode fonts.

I agree that rasterizing is more pricey with embedded fonts, so I just skip this
part of the pipeline if I'm rasterizing. In that case, you can be sure that the
font is available locally; there's no need to provide embedded glyphs.

Yrs,

--
Bruce Robertson,
Dept. of Classics, Mount Allison University