Posted to dev@corinthia.apache.org by jan i <ja...@apache.org> on 2015/01/03 11:56:43 UTC

My work in january.

Hi.

Just a heads up, I have created 2 branches to hold my work for the next
period.

experiment64, I have found an example on how to tweak Cmake files so they
create multiple configurations (e.g. 32bit, 64bit, debug/release), this
should work or XCode as well. Apart from that then I have to correct som
problems in w3c-tidy and minizip.

experimentZip, this is a bit bigger, I want to remove minizip totally, and
only depend on the external zlib. This means I have to write directory and
packing/unpacking code, but it also means we can then make some of the
things peter wanted.

Apart from that I will get our wiki up and prepare presentation for FOSDEM.

For experiment64, I need to change the script to store lib and bin in x86,
x64 sub dirs, I will change the scripts unless dennis beats me to it.

have a nice weekend.
rgds
jan i.

@dennis I hope you are back on your feet again.

Re: My work in january.

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.
+1 to replacing minizip. I think having our own implementation which better suits our usage model (in particular random access) is a great idea, and will also allow us to avoid concerns around licensing & cryptography.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

Re: My work in january.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 3 January 2015 at 17:19, Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org>
wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> Two things I hope you will consider for January,
>
>  1. Give more priority to the Wiki because it blocks others of us from
> using it until it is in the shape you envision.

I wil shift priorities, and get cracking on this.

>  2. With regard to more-elaborate externals to deal with x86, x64, other
> platforms (?), etc., without a clue what you will require in any of those,
> I have no way to develop even preliminary scripts.  In particular, it would
> be good to know what downloads you expect for x64, and how you want
> downloads itself organized, since right now it is flat with
> download/include, download/lib, and download/bin.
>
> On this last, would it be more useful to have externals-win32x86,
> externals-win32x64, etc?  That is much easier from a scripting setup, so
> they each have their own downloads working subfolder, etc.  If you separate
> externals by type in this way, the migration should be particularly
> straightforward in terms of taking the correct DLL bins into a packaging of
> a delivered binary, testing with the right ones, etc.

I would prefer to have:
externals/lib/x86 externals/lib/x64 and externals/bin/x86
externals/bin/x64, because the include directories are identical, however I
have no strong opinion.

I expect the downloads we have now (some of them contain a x86 and x64)
directory.

> MY OFFER: I will replace the current externals/README.txt, or add another
> file, that documents
>
>  1. the simple maintenance cases (i.e., upgrading to a new external
> release)

+1

>  2. The few places that need to be touched under ordinary maintenance,

+1

>  3. Adjusting to different organizations of the downloaded Zips (there are
> 4 flavors at the moment),

?? I thought we only will be using x86 and x64.

>  4. What the test cases are and demonstrating that operation is working
> and that the scripts have resilient failure modes.

+1

>  5. Confirmation that the scripts continue to operate properly under
> cmd.exe console sessions, PowerShell sessions, MSYS2 sessions, Cygwin
> sessions, and Take Command (formerly 4NT) console sessions as well as
> across a range of Windows versions, say from XP to Windows 10 Tech Preview.

+1

> Furthermore, I will, in doing that, also
>
>  6. Annotate the scripts a bit more so that anyone using them and puzzled
> by something has more bread crumbs about what some of the dependencies and
> peculiar options are about.
>
>  7. Bring over the bin/ license material too, so that if the bin folders
> are used to build deliverables, the necessary 3rd party licenses on those
> DLLs will follow along.

This is very perfect, and please replace the file, with your scripts (and
peters for linux), there is no need for my long list o filenames.

rgds
jan i.

RE: My work in january.