Posted to dev@flume.apache.org by Justin Holmes <ju...@nascency.co.uk> on 2022/01/12 13:30:01 UTC

Flume release that includes the log4j patches.

Can we have a release that includes the fixed log4j vulnerabilities soon?

--
Justin Holmes

Re: Flume release that includes the log4j patches.

Posted by Apache <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I should add that while I made one change that I needed to get the flume configuration from a Spring Cloud Configuration Server I have no plans for any other major changes.

Ralph

Posted by Apache <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Tristan Stevens <tr...@apache.org>.

From: Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>
Reply: dev@flume.apache.org <de...@flume.apache.org>
Date: 12 January 2022 at 17:22:14
To: dev@flume.apache.org <de...@flume.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: Flume release that includes the log4j patches.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
FWIW, I only removed the Dataset Sink. The morphline Solr Sink also has a dependency on Kite but I didn’t encounter any problems with it. Yet.

Also, it seems a lot of Flume depends on Netty 4 (io.netty) but there is still some things that use Netty 3 (org.jboss.netty).
For one, flume-sdk requires Netty 3. Netty 3 is EOL - https://netty.io/news/2016/06/29/3-10-6-Final.html. It appears that
Netty 3 has at least https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2021-43797 outstanding against it. Addressing that will require
modifying a fair amount of code, which I hadn’t really planned to do for this release.

Ralph

Posted by Bessenyei Balázs Donát <be...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Tristan Stevens <tr...@apache.org>.
Justin,
There was never a release that included log4j2, so there shouldn’t be cause for concern from that perspective.

The log4j2 release will probably need to be a Flume 2.0, which would be the time to remove Kite and other old dependencies.
Tristan

From: Justin Holmes <ju...@nascency.co.uk>
Reply: dev@flume.apache.org <de...@flume.apache.org>
Date: 12 January 2022 at 13:52:48