Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Matt Quail <ma...@ctx.com.au> on 2004/11/12 00:29:50 UTC

I've got some code for the sandbox

I've got a handful of classes that I've written (and spoken about on
this list), and I occasionally get direct requests from people for that
code.

I figure it might be easier (for me) and more useful (for everyone else)
if this code was in the sandbox (or potentially in the main distribution).

The classes are:

- LongField, LongFieldFilter: similar to DateField but handles *all*
long values

- BitsetQuery and FilteringQuery: takes a filter (or a bitset of docids)
and allows you to use that in a Query. This is a boon for people who try
to use a RangeQuery for dates but get a too-many-boolean-clauses
exception. Simply replace your RangeQuery with a new FilteringQuery(new
DateFilter()).

(I have unit tests for these classes, too)

What is the best way to get something into the sandbox? I can email the
classes to a committer if that is the easiest.

=Matt

Re: I've got some code for the sandbox

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Nov 11, 2004, at 4:29 PM, Matt Quail wrote:
> I figure it might be easier (for me) and more useful (for everyone
> else)
> if this code was in the sandbox (or potentially in the main
> distribution).

I'll try to take a look at your contributions in the near future.  Your
best bet is to post them to Bugzilla for now, so they don't get lost
and are easy to point people to.  I'll commit them to the sandbox as
time permits, or perhaps someone else could beat me to it.

> - LongField, LongFieldFilter: similar to DateField but handles *all*
> long values

The CVS codebase has a much enhanced DateTools class.  Maybe we should
merge your code into a NumberTools class?

> - BitsetQuery and FilteringQuery: takes a filter (or a bitset of
> docids)
> and allows you to use that in a Query. This is a boon for people who
> try
> to use a RangeQuery for dates but get a too-many-boolean-clauses
> exception. Simply replace your RangeQuery with a new FilteringQuery(new
> DateFilter()).
>
> (I have unit tests for these classes, too)

There is a FilteredQuery in Lucene 1.4.  How does your FilteringQuery
differ?  Could we consolidate the BitsetQuery into the existing
FilteredQuery perhaps and only have a single FilteredQuery that can use
either a Filter or BitSet?

> What is the best way to get something into the sandbox? I can email the
> classes to a committer if that is the easiest.

Actually the code you describe fits more into the core than the Sandbox
now that Lucene 1.9/2.0 is in development.

	Erik

Re: I've got some code for the sandbox

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.