Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Ben Speakmon <bs...@apache.org> on 2007/06/16 07:35:25 UTC

advice for fixing commons-email breakage

Hi all,

I've been making changes to commons-email recently and gump is unhappy. I've
looked into it and asked for advice on commons-dev, and now I'd like to ask
the experts

commons-email now depends on two things not in gump. The new dependencies
are only used during test runs (they simulate an SMTP server) and are NOT
required for clients. After reading the docs it seems straightforward enough
to build them, but there are a few problems:

1) I want only a specific version of the test dependencies and don't really
care if upstream changes break my code (and users won't care either)
2) the build system for commons-email is maven 2, but using it in gump seems
unsupported
3) the build for my new dependencies is compiled under 1.5 and then
translated using retroweaver to produce 1.4-compatible jars; commons-email
only requires 1.4 to build

Given that commons-email is going to be maven 2 from here on out, the maven
1 file will likely go away soon since it seems silly to maintain ant, m1,
and m2.

How would you recommend I proceed given these issues?

Thanks!
--Ben

Re: advice for fixing commons-email breakage

Posted by Ben Speakmon <bs...@apache.org>.
Leo et al.,

I've decided to check the jars into my svn and have them pulled out by
project elements. This seems like the solution with the least deal of bother
for all. If other projects were using these libraries, it'd be worth the
effort to set them up; for now, being only test dependencies of one little
commons project, this will work okay.

Thanks for your help!
--Ben

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.