Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2002/12/21 14:04:43 UTC

[Fwd: Wiki Wiki (has been set up)]

RE: [Fwd: Wiki Wiki (has been set up)]

Posted by mw...@apache.org.
The wiki format is a bit funky, but once you get going with it you can
create some cool pages.  I just wrote a chunk about the log4j xml
configuration file format.  I'm no wiki expert, but I'm pretty happy with
how it is turning out so far.

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JXmlFormat

Can't wait to see what the log4j users do with this.

thanks again!
-Mark

Is there anyway we can test this on a small scale first?  I'll be happy to
help out with it...

-Mark

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
mwomack@apache.org wrote:

>[sorry, I reference the wrong text in the previous message...]
>

>>Of course, it would eventually be even better if the wiki could let you do
>>the equivalent of <a href="">Some text for the link</a> so that we don't
>>NeedToHaveTextAllJumbledTogetherForALink.
>>

>The more I think about it, the more I like this kind of format:
>
><wiki-a ref="ANormalWikiRef">Some text for the anchor</wiki-a>
>
>That way it can reference normal wiki pages.  But I don't know how to patch
>the existing code.  Maybe some other else can help?

That question is also very well documented  :-)

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ApacheWiki

Re: Unatural Wiki Link (was: [Fwd: Wiki Wiki (has been set up)])

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>would get processed into:
>
><a
>href="http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?NormalWikiLikeLink">The
>text to attach the link to</a>
>
>If I was more proficient at perl I would have already made a patch.  But I'm
>not, so I haven't.  Sorry, but perl is not my bag.  Now, if it was a JSP or
>Java, that would be a different story...:-)

PERL is just like JSP more or less (I like PERL better I think).  If
this were really that important to you, you'd do it.  PERL is easy to write.
What's more amusing is that from what it looks there is an equivilent
one character configuration fix ;-)  -- However, I think I'll be a prick
about this and make you at least find it and send me a patch just
because its good for you.

Source is here: http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ApacheWiki

It took me all of 30 seconds to find.  I'll give you a boon, I searched
on the word "wiki" ;-)

-jAndy.NET.pl

>-Mark
>

>--

RE: Unatural Wiki Link (was: [Fwd: Wiki Wiki (has been set up)])

Posted by mw...@apache.org.
> > Of course, it would eventually be even better if the wiki could
> let you do
> > the equivalent of <a href="">Some text for the link</a> so that we don't
> > NeedToHaveTextAllJumbledTogetherForALink.
> Um, the whole point of a wiki is that it should be abnormally
> easy to create
> things such as new pages and links to them - the very basis of this is the
> concept of a WikiWord.

I don't want to make it hard to create new pages and link them.  I just
think that ThisIsVeryUnnatural in the web world.  What is wrong with wanting
to attach a wiki-like link to readable text?  I'm surprised that this has
not come up with wiki before.

Plus, it can still be a wiki link.  They already support
"[http://somehost/somelink ThisIsALink]".  Plus the wiki processor is
already on the lookout for other embedded tags like <pre>, <tt>, etc.  So,
going to the extra effort of calling out the text to attach a link to isn't
much of a leap, in my mind.

<wiki-a ref="NormalWikiLikeLink">The text to attach the link to</wiki-a>

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
On 25/12/2002 4:46 AM, "mwomack@apache.org" <mw...@apache.org> wrote:

> A little wiki bird left a posting on the "JProjectPages" about how to change
> it to "Log4JProjectPages".  On the page, put it as "[[Log4JProjectPages]]".
> It works.  Thank you little wiki bird.  I have updated the relevant links.
Tweet tweet!

> Of course, it would eventually be even better if the wiki could let you do
> the equivalent of <a href="">Some text for the link</a> so that we don't
> NeedToHaveTextAllJumbledTogetherForALink.
Um, the whole point of a wiki is that it should be abnormally easy to create
things such as new pages and links to them - the very basis of this is the
concept of a WikiWord.

> Also, is there any way to delete pages from the wiki?  I'd like to remove
> the "JProjectPages" so that it does not show up in searches.  Just remove
> all the contents?
No way to delete - you need to be able to recover if someone anonymously
deletes something you want to keep.  Just delete the content.

> -Mark

Cheers,

Scott
--
Scott Eade
Backstage Technologies Pty. Ltd.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?HomePage

I changed it a bit, but it adds [] around the link.  This also doesn't
help with showing as "JProjectPages"....guess you can always rename,
copy and paste.

--
James Mitchell
Software Engineer/Open Source Evangelist

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but
when you do, it blows away your whole leg."
- Bjarne Stroustrup