Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by "David Harrison (EAB)" <da...@ein.ericsson.se> on 2003/01/10 16:03:43 UTC

Soap request parameter order.

Hi,
	I have written a Soap client in Perl to send a request to a Soap server. I have noticed that I must send the parameters in a specific order otherwise the request is rejected.
	I have also noticed that I can use any name for the values sent.

I thought that the idea with xml was that it was a "tag" "value" pair concept. Have we configured the server incorrectly or ?????

Soap Server - Apache
Soap Client - Soap::Lite

Regs
David

Re: Soap request parameter order.

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
While XML has a tag/value concept, there is nothing in the SOAP spec
that specifies the way a SOAP message is mapped to a method/function
call implemented in a particular programming language.  Therefore, it is
left to implementers to decide how to perform the mapping.

In Apache SOAP, you will notice that you need only specify the class
implementing a service and the method(s) you wish to expose.  You do not
specify the names and/or order of parameters.  Therefore, for Apache
SOAP to map XML element names to method parameter formal names, the
service classes would be required to contain debugging information,
since Java reflection does not provide this information.  This is an
unreasonable requirement, so Apache SOAP instead requires parameters to
be in the same order in the XML as they were declared in the method
(which may be unreasonable, too ;-), but this is similar to most other
SOAP implementations.

Scott Nichol

<ma...@xml.apache.org>
<ma...@xml.apache.org>