Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/21 16:57:56 UTC

couchdb ppa - help needed

Hello,

I was looking at the PPA from Randall which is the most up to date I
think (correct me if I'm wrong) and wanted to create a pseudo-official
one, at least one that we can give the link. I have have also 3 goals:

- having the stable version always available
- having a nightly build
- optionnaly having a beta branch for beta releases

(Any others ideas are welcome).

Anyway to do that I've create a couchdb team on launchpad:

https://launchpad.net/~couchdb

Members are restricted. Since I knew the login of randall I added Him.
If others committers have a  login please let me know and I will add
it (contact me with your apache address). I will also add anyone that
could help to make this debian package happen especially if he come
with a patch ;) So please raise your hand!

Now apart these administrative details I wanted  to collect the
current efforts to not start from scratch. For now I have found the
following packages for debian:

For js:

https://github.com/cloudant/packages/tree/master/debian/js

(though the license of the package need to be clarified)

couchdb:

https://launchpad.net/~randall-leeds/+archive/couchdb

any other?

Voila, hopefully we will have a ppa available in June, and it would be
cool to have one coming with the next release. So please help :)

- benoit

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Jun 10, 2013, at 13:35 , Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I would like to reverse my position on this.
>>
>> I've just watched CloudStack abort a sequence of main project releases
>> because the Debian packaging apparatus was broken. This wouldn't happen if
>> the Debian build was kept separate.
>>
>> I think I'd like to propose that we create a new repository at the ASF that
>> can hold the extra packaging work. This could include top level dirs for
>> debs, RPM, Windows, OS X, you name it.
>>

> While I'm fully agree to have an official repo on Apache, I would like
> to also provides this PPA at least for the ubuntu people. It
> considerably ease the process for ubuntu users (and us). Also it can
> be used later as an entry point for an official package or partner
> package imo.

+1

Jan

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Hmm, okay.

--
NS

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Does Ubuntu streamline the process of adding the PPA to your
/etc/apt/sources.list?

If not, then it's the same amount of work to add a URL that is on
Ubuntu.com, as it is Apache.com. :) And setting up a reprepro repository is
trivial.

(I used to be a Debian developer, and maintained the couchdb package for
several years, so I am happy to help out here.

--
NS

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.
On May 22, 2013, at 2:51 PM, Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com> wrote:

> On 22 May 2013 18:11, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
>> +1 on moving RPM/DEB meta data into the main source tree. (Jan, these tools
>> expect specific top level dirs/files, but they're usually self-contained.
>> As you say, we can change things if it gets cluttered.)
>>
>> Benoit, what about maintaining rpms/debs on Apache infra? Is there any
>> reason we'd want to use Ubuntu PPAs, when we can just set up an APT
>> repository with something like reprepro, and stick it on dist.apache.org.
>
> I think this is a great idea, although I don't fully understand
> reprepro nor the work involved yet.
>
> If cloudant is still supporting their spidermonkey builds, we should
> use those, if not, I'd like to re-use their build packages, and point
> to erlang-solutions OTP builds. This should be a pretty solid
> arrangement.
>
> A+
> Dave

We're definitely still using our SM 185 packages.  I can't remember the last time we had to update them, though.

Adam

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On May 21, 2013, at 21:00 , Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think I'll skip the pristine-tar branch since these tarballs are our
> release downloads and we archive them already. It's extra bloat most
> developers don't need when cloning the repo.

Oops, yes, did mean any tools/scripts we can use to build packages.

Jan

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Thanks Benoit for getting this going! :)

Jan

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
> The cloudant packages repository is no longer maintained fwiw, it's
> only not been deleted in case someone wanted to take it on.

OK thanks for the info :)

Re: couchdb ppa - help needed

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.