Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Luis Ferro <lf...@teladigital.pt> on 2006/09/05 12:21:44 UTC

Drop cap first letter...

I would like to know if anyone has gone around this kind of thing (the first
letter of a chapter apearing as a "huge size" aligned to the top of the
current line with all the text of the rest of the paragraph "working" around
it)...

Any suggestions on how to do it?

My first idea was to use a list, with a "huge" character and a very strong
"<sub>" percentage attached to it so it would drop down... Is there a better
approach?

Cheers...
LF

Re: Drop cap first letter...

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Luis,

<snip/>
> For now, if i dont specify in the list-item-body an indent, the content is
> "overlaped" as if the "bullet" "A" didn't existed. I'm not sure if this is
> the expected behavior from the spec...
>
> What i was supposing to happen would be that in the lines that where
> "horizontally" overlaped by the bullet, the content would be "indented" to
> the immediate character position. In the next lines, it would be not
> indented.
>
> Would the "floats" that Vincent talked about would do this?

Yes, side-floats may be used for that, but as Pascal said they are not
yet implemented in Fop. It's on my todo-list, but a working
implementation should not be expected before... some time.
Unfortunately I don't think there is any workaround.
Any help is welcome ;-)

Vincent

RE: Drop cap first letter...

Posted by Luis Ferro <lf...@teladigital.pt>.
My test case would be this one:

	<!-- layout information -->
	<fo:layout-master-set>

		<fo:simple-page-master master-name="capa05"
						page-height="297mm"
						page-width="210mm"
						margin-top="18mm"
						margin-bottom="18mm"
						margin-left="17mm"
						margin-right="17mm">
			<fo:region-body region-name="corpo" margin-top="22mm"
margin-bottom="20mm" margin-left="3mm" margin-right="3mm"
display-align="center" background-color="#F2F2FF"/>
			<fo:region-before precedence="true" region-name="cabecalho" extent="22mm"
background-color="#F2F2FF" display-align="after"/>
			<fo:region-after precedence="true" region-name="rodape" extent="20mm"
background-color="#F2F2FF"/>
			<fo:region-start region-name="esquerda" extent="3mm"
background-color="#F2F2FF"/>
			<fo:region-end region-name="direita" extent="3mm"
background-color="#F2F2FF"/>
		</fo:simple-page-master>

	</fo:layout-master-set>
	<!-- end: defines page layout -->

	<fo:page-sequence master-reference="capa05">

		<fo:static-content flow-name="cabecalho">
			<fo:block></fo:block>
		</fo:static-content>

		<fo:static-content flow-name="rodape">
			<fo:block></fo:block>
		</fo:static-content>

		<fo:flow flow-name="corpo">

			<fo:block>

				<fo:list-block start-indent="5mm"
provisional-distance-between-starts="10mm">

					<fo:list-item>
						<fo:list-item-label end-indent="label-end()">
							<fo:block font-size="30" baseline-shift="-150%">A</fo:block>
						</fo:list-item-label>
						<fo:list-item-body start-indent="body-start()">
							<fo:block>gora isto vai fundionarsd sdf dasfas fdas fadf ads f ads f
ds f asdf das fdasfdasf dasfasdf ddasfasdf dasfdasf sdafdasfdas fasdfdas
fdasfdas fdasfdfad fdsafads asdfdasf dasfdasfdasfas dasfasf dasfdasf dasfas
fasdfadsfads dasfadsfdas fdasfdasf asdfasdfa dsfadasf dasfadsf
asd.</fo:block>
						</fo:list-item-body>
					</fo:list-item>

				</fo:list-block>

			</fo:block>

			<fo:block>
				<fo:inline font-size="30">A</fo:inline>gora isto vai fundionarsd sdf
dasfas fdas fadf ads f ads f ds f asdf das fdasfdasf dasfasdf ddasfasdf
dasfdasf sdafdasfdas fasdfdas fdasfdas fdasfdfad fdsafads asdfdasf
dasfdasfdasfas dasfasf dasfdasf dasfas fasdfadsfads dasfadsfdas fdasfdasf
asdfasdfa dsfadasf dasfadsf asd.
			</fo:block>

		</fo:flow>

	</fo:page-sequence>

</fo:root>

For now, if i dont specify in the list-item-body an indent, the content is
"overlaped" as if the "bullet" "A" didn't existed. I'm not sure if this is
the expected behavior from the spec...

What i was supposing to happen would be that in the lines that where
"horizontally" overlaped by the bullet, the content would be "indented" to
the immediate character position. In the next lines, it would be not
indented.

Would the "floats" that Vincent talked about would do this?

http://www.nabble.com/-Poll--Expectations-regarding-side-floats-tf2091037.html#a5763549

Cheers
LF