Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by sreedevi s <sr...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/11 09:56:07 UTC

lucene and databases

Hi,

    This is a question to confirm my understanding of lucene when used
along with databases and clear my doubts. Lucene can be used to read from
databases(both sql and nosql) but there is no api that supports it.

 Is there any database that is preferred over other databases for use along
with lucene?

Also, if lucene indexes can be put into a db but there is no direct support
or configuration for it. I read about using jdbcdirectory. Lucene 4.0
involves significant changes in the API, which Compass undoubtedly does not
support. Development stopped on Compass over two years ago.

2)So in this case what is the suggestion or how to achieve the same

Any suggestions?

Best Regards,

Sreedevi S

Re: lucene and databases

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Lucene is agnostic to how (database or not) your content is stored
externally: it's up to you to pull that content out, make Documents
and index them into Lucene.

It is not a great idea to store a Lucene index in a database...

Also, Compass essentially became Elasticsearch.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com