Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2014/03/06 22:53:46 UTC

Calculate file checksums via Javascript

Interesting page:

https://md5file.com/calculator

It does MD5/SHA1/SHA256 calculations on local files, using Javascript.
 Requires HTML5 file <input> support, but that is more common today.
No server support is needed, all calculations are done in the browser.

Give this as a proof of concept, the interesting next step would be to
have a page where users could check the integrity of their AOO
downloads.  This could be used to check for suspected partial
downloads or for suspicions of modified versions.

-Rob

Re: Calculate file checksums via Javascript

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 03/08/2014 12:20 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 5:22 PM, Marcus (OOo)<ma...@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>> Am 03/07/2014 11:13 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

>>> Or we can delete the page we don't want and I can request its removal
>>> from the Google index.  That would be simpler, unless we have a lot of
>>> 3rd party links to the old page, which I doubt is the case.
>>

>> Do you have any statistics (page hits) about the webpage? If not, then I
>> also favor to delete it from the index.
>>

> http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/using_md5sums.html
>
> This gets around 90 visits per day, almost all are referrals from
> Google searches.
>
> One external page linking in is this Nintendo Wii discussion page (!?):
>
> hamburg-forum.com/board10-hamburg-forum-allgemein/board17-technik-telekommunikation/361-nintendo-wii-prüfsummen-iso-images/

A post in a forum from 2007.

> Also:  techrepublic.com/blog/it-security/use-md5-hashes-to-verify-software-downloads/374/

A blog post also from 2007.

Nothing important that would justiy to keep the webpage.

Marcus

Re: Calculate file checksums via Javascript

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 03/09/2014 06:08 PM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
> Am 03/08/2014 02:36 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>> Rob Weir wrote:
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/using_md5sums.html
>>> This gets around 90 visits per day, almost all are referrals from
>>> Google searches.
>>
>> OK, I agree it should be killed by deleting it then.
>>
>> Of course, internal link from openoffice.org pages to
>> http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/using_md5sums.html should be
>> rewritten to point to http://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums.html
>
> Hm, there are some that need to be changed. I volunteer to take care.

I've changed the things it is worth it. I've not updated the files with
checksums of old and legacy OOo releases.

If you still see something that needs to be changed, just tell me or
update yourself.

Marcus

Re: Calculate file checksums via Javascript

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 03/08/2014 02:36 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/using_md5sums.html
>> This gets around 90 visits per day, almost all are referrals from
>> Google searches.
>
> OK, I agree it should be killed by deleting it then.

I've deleted the webpage.

> Of course, internal link from openoffice.org pages to
> http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/using_md5sums.html should be
> rewritten to point to http://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums.html

Already done (see previous post).

Marcus

Re: Calculate file checksums via Javascript

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Rob Weir wrote:
> http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/using_md5sums.html
> This gets around 90 visits per day, almost all are referrals from
> Google searches.

OK, I agree it should be killed by deleting it then.

Of course, internal link from openoffice.org pages to
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/using_md5sums.html should be
rewritten to point to http://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums.html

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Calculate file checksums via Javascript

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.