Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chad M Stewart <cm...@balius.com> on 2002/12/16 19:13:48 UTC

[users@httpd] howto debug -- directory index forbidden by rule

Relevant log output

[Mon Dec 16 12:45:24 2002] [notice] Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux
PHP/4.1.2 mod_ssl/2.8.9 OpenSSL/0.9.6g DAV/1.0.3 configured -- resuming
normal operations
[Mon Dec 16 12:45:24 2002] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper:
/usr/lib/apache/suexec)
[Mon Dec 16 12:45:24 2002] [info] Server built: Jun 19 2002 12:00:21
[Mon Dec 16 12:45:24 2002] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)
[Mon Dec 16 12:45:26 2002] [error] [client x.x.x.x] Directory index
forbidden by rule: /path/to/directory/child/of/documentroot/

>>From all the researching I've done this has something to with Options and
probably Allowoverride.  Ok that's great, but how do go about debugging
such an error?   I've set the log level to debug and yet what you see above
is the only information I get back.  IMHO I would expect more output in
debug level.

The host in question is a virtual host, one of many, named based, this is a
child directory of the virtual hosts document root, this is the first
virtual host defined.

The directory in question is defined like the following

<Directory /path/to/director/docs/mac/>
Options +Indexes FollowSymLinks
IndexOptions IconsAreLinks ScanHTMLTitles NameWidth=*
</Directory>

It would very helpful if the error output could include a line number
letting me know just what rule caused this to be denied.   I have been
trying many things for the last hour or so and can't find the right
combination.   Is there something else I can do to see more verbose output
in the error.log regarding my problem?

Thank you,
Chad