Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Troy Curtis Jr <tr...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/13 11:40:08 UTC

mucc

A couple of days ago I need to do several dozen moves and wanted them
all in the same revision (and only operate on the repository as these
where branches and tags directories).  I remembered discussion on
mucc, so I found the mucc.c source file and after a few iterations, go
a working executable.  My question is: Shouldn't there be some quick
"How to Compile" instruction somewhere?  Like mucc.README or
something? It certainly would have saved me some time.

Thanks,
Troy

--
"Beware of spyware. If you can, use the Firefox browser." - USA Today
Download now at http://getfirefox.com

Re: mucc

Posted by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk>.
On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 03:44:25PM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> The "how to compile" consists of being in the root of the subversion
> checkout and typing 'make contrib/client-side/mucc'.  That is rather
> similar to how to compile any other binary in the subversion tree.

Actually, 'make mucc' works just fine - it's an undocumented feature of
our build system.

Regards,
Malcolm

Re: mucc

Posted by "Daniel L. Rall" <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
On Sun, 15 Oct 2006, David Glasser wrote:

> On 10/15/06, Troy Curtis Jr <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >Well if you say it like that, then I guess I'm just a moron!  No,
> >you're right it shouldn't have it's own README.  However, perhaps a
> >terse readme in the contrib directory directing the user to the
> >appropriate main documentation would make it easier for other dummies
> >like myself to figure out how to do it.
>
> A comment at the top of the file would certainly be reasonable, I think.

Yup, r21989.

Re: mucc

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@mit.edu>.
On 10/15/06, Troy Curtis Jr <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well if you say it like that, then I guess I'm just a moron!  No,
> you're right it shouldn't have it's own README.  However, perhaps a
> terse readme in the contrib directory directing the user to the
> appropriate main documentation would make it easier for other dummies
> like myself to figure out how to do it.

A comment at the top of the file would certainly be reasonable, I think.

--dave

--
David Glasser | glasser@mit.edu | http://www.davidglasser.net/

Re: mucc

Posted by Troy Curtis Jr <tr...@gmail.com>.
On 10/14/06, Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org> wrote:

> [Troy Curtis Jr]
> > I remembered discussion on mucc, so I found the mucc.c source file
> > and after a few iterations, go a working executable.  My question is:
> > Shouldn't there be some quick "How to Compile" instruction somewhere?
>
> The "how to compile" consists of being in the root of the subversion
> checkout and typing 'make contrib/client-side/mucc'.  That is rather
> similar to how to compile any other binary in the subversion tree.
>
> Do you think this needs a separate README?

Well if you say it like that, then I guess I'm just a moron!  No,
you're right it shouldn't have it's own README.  However, perhaps a
terse readme in the contrib directory directing the user to the
appropriate main documentation would make it easier for other dummies
like myself to figure out how to do it.

Some software engineer I am!

Thanks,
Troy