Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Alonzo Barnett <ab...@lexmark.com> on 2015/05/12 03:55:07 UTC

Drill connect to S3 with AWS EMR role

I am looking into using Drill with AWS EMR.  My organization uses IAM roles
with EMR in order to rotate security credentials.

In a first round of testing I successfully connected Drill to S3 on a
cluster without IAM role based credential rotation which required placing
access and secret keys in core-site.xml.

It is possible to still use Drill with S3 without hardcoding credentials
into core-site?  With emrfs there is some work by AWS to rotate
credentials, and I would like to exploit the modification to core-site if
possible.

--
v/r,
Alonzo Barnett

Re: Drill connect to S3 with AWS EMR role

Posted by David Tucker <dt...@maprtech.com>.
The current version of Hadoop in EMR (both Apache and MapR) does not support the IAM authentication to S3 without the credentials in core-site.   I believe the support has been integrated into Hadoop 2.6 … so when the EMR distributions upgrade to that level, the access you request should be supported.

Did you successfully configure the drill-bit to use the full EMRFS jars, or did you default to the older jets3t support ?   If you have the classpath settings for full emrfs support, please share them with the group (and I will integrate that support into the MapR EMR bootstrap action under development for Drill).

Regards,
   David