Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Peter Campion-Bye <pe...@pandasys.co.uk> on 2006/04/24 12:24:56 UTC

Charity spam - is this a new kind of 419?

Received the message below at the weekend. I could be completely wrong and
this is a genuine misguided attempt at recruiting charity workers, but it
looks to me like a new kind of 419 scam - if you show an interest I suspect
they will want bank account details and/or money up front.
Suspicious that she can't even decide how to spell her own surname!

Date: 23 Apr 2006 01:03:01 -0000
To: peter@pandasys.co.uk
ScriptPath: mastacrew.com/page.php
Subject: Charity Work
From: Save the Children Charity Work <he...@savethechildren.org>

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Monday, April 24, 2006, 5:42:16 AM, Craig McLean wrote:
> Smells like 419 to me, given (among other things) the level of literacy
> displayed.  If you have no objections I'll drop the sender a line and
> see what the scam is...

Or better, ask savethechildren.org to comment:

[DOMAIN whois information for SAVETHECHILDREN.ORG ]
   Domain Name: SAVETHECHILDREN.ORG
   Namespace: ICANN Unsponsored Generic TLD - http://www.icann.org
   TLD Info: See IANA Whois - http://www.iana.org/root-whois/org.htm
   Registry: Public Interest Registry - http://www.pir.org
   Registrar: Network Solutions LLC - http://www.networksolutions.com
   Whois Server: whois.publicinterestregistry.net
   Name Server[whois+dns with ip] NS1.SAVETHECHILDREN.ORG 12.111.50.20
   Name Server[whois+dns with ip] NS2.SAVETHECHILDREN.ORG 204.13.30.3
   Updated Date: 19-Dec-2005 16:29:27 UTC
   Creation Date: 28-Dec-1995 05:00:00 UTC
   Expiration Date: 27-Dec-2010 05:00:00 UTC
Registrant ID: 34052617-NSI
Registrant Name: Save the Children
Registrant Organization: Save the Children
Registrant Street1: 54 Wilton Road
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City: Westport
Registrant State/Province: CT
Registrant Postal Code: 06880
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.2032214149
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email: asoltanp@savechildren.org
Admin ID: 25113985-NSI
Admin Name: Alesia Soltanpanah
Admin Organization: Alesia Soltanpanah
Admin Street1: 54 Wilton Road
Admin Street2:
Admin Street3:
Admin City: Wesport
Admin State/Province: CT
Admin Postal Code: 06880
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: +1.9999999999
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email: asoltanp@SAVECHILDREN.ORG
Tech ID: 5978870-NSI
Tech Name: NRG Networks, Inc.
Tech Organization: NRG Networks, Inc.
Tech Street1: 611 West Johnson Avenue
Tech Street2:
Tech Street3:
Tech City: Cheshire
Tech State/Province: CT
Tech Postal Code: 06410
Tech Country: US
Tech Phone: +1.2036991144
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email: dns@NRGNETWORKS.COM
Name Server: NS1.SAVETHECHILDREN.ORG
Name Server: NS2.SAVETHECHILDREN.ORG

Seems to be a real org.  Scammers are probably just "borrowing"
their name.

Note the original scam spam had:

which is probably a bad guy drop box.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: Charity spam - is this a new kind of 419?

Posted by Craig McLean <cr...@fukka.co.uk>.

Peter Campion-Bye wrote:
> Received the message below at the weekend. I could be completely wrong and
> this is a genuine misguided attempt at recruiting charity workers, but it
> looks to me like a new kind of 419 scam - if you show an interest I suspect
> they will want bank account details and/or money up front.
> Suspicious that she can't even decide how to spell her own surname!

[snip headers]

>  Hello,
>    I am Helen from Save the Children Charity Work.Save the children is a child
> charity that works in the uk and worldwide. find out
>  how you can do volunteering, fundraising and make a donation.
>    We are presently looking for people from United Kingdom,United
> States,Canada,Australia and Ireland who can work online with our Branch in
> Africa.We are willing to make arranging for payment on everyone who is
> ready to part-take under this umbrella of our Charity Work(Save The
> Children).
>     We want to make sure that Children are safe and secured from every bad
> diseases occuring around the world now, and this Organization will be
> making payment for everybody working under it but it depends on how many
> people you can bring into this Organization.
>     Payment for single/new person who just join this Save the Children Health
> Organization is 400pounds per week and the payment will be made in
> cheque/money order or directly into your account everyweek as a part of
> this Organization.
>  We are pleased to welcome you as a member of this Children Health
> Organization which is made for schools and everybody in the world can
> part-take as member because we need just 20 more people to be member/workers
> of this Organization and this Organization need people who can make
> themselves avaliable at least twice a week for the work because we may need
> any member to reach places where help is needed.
>    I hope this is more comprehensive and you are highly welcome to be a
> member/worker under this Children Health Organization.
>  You can contact the Ass. Coordinator for more informations through this
> mailto: helen_cochran1@yahoo.com
>  We are very pleased to invite you to part-take as a member/worker in this
> Children Health Organization and you read more from our other branch website
> under united States (www.savethechildren.org)
>  Thanks
>    Mrs Helen Cockran
>    Ass. Coordinator
>    NB: mailto: helen_cochran1@yahoo.com

Smells like 419 to me, given (among other things) the level of literacy
displayed.  If you have no objections I'll drop the sender a line and
see what the scam is...

C.

- --
Craig McLean		http://fukka.co.uk