Posted to dev@phoenix.apache.org by Martin Tzvetanov Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> on 2021/05/27 09:17:21 UTC

Extend CI with ARM64 nodes

Hello Phoenix devs,

Recently I've tried to build Phoenix on Linux ARM64 and the build failed due to usage of Google Protobuf 2.5.0 that does not provide native protoc for aarch64 CPU architecture.
Protobuf started providing such since 3.5.0.

To fix it I've used an alternative Maven dependency that uses aarch64 build of protoc:2.5.0 on this hardware:
- for Phoenix: https://github.com/apache/phoenix/pull/1238
- for OMID: https://github.com/apache/phoenix-omid/pull/96

The same problem have been reported and fixed in few other Hadoop related projects in the past.
To prevent regressions some of those projects started using ARM64 Jenkins agents: https://ci-hadoop.apache.org/label/arm/

Is the Phoenix project interested in testing on ARM64 too ?

I am not very familiar with Phoenix's Jenkins setup by I guess it should be a matter of making use of the 'arm' label at https://github.com/apache/phoenix/blob/63cbb111b27bb3611e930949ebda5e06c47b0c68/Jenkinsfile.yetus#L21

Regards,
Martin

Re: Extend CI with ARM64 nodes

Posted by Martin Tzvetanov Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

On 2021/05/27 09:17:21, Martin Tzvetanov Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello Phoenix devs,
>
> Recently I've tried to build Phoenix on Linux ARM64 and the build failed due to usage of Google Protobuf 2.5.0 that does not provide native protoc for aarch64 CPU architecture.
> Protobuf started providing such since 3.5.0.
>
> To fix it I've used an alternative Maven dependency that uses aarch64 build of protoc:2.5.0 on this hardware:
> - for Phoenix: https://github.com/apache/phoenix/pull/1238
> - for OMID: https://github.com/apache/phoenix-omid/pull/96
>
> The same problem have been reported and fixed in few other Hadoop related projects in the past.
> To prevent regressions some of those projects started using ARM64 Jenkins agents: https://ci-hadoop.apache.org/label/arm/
>
> Is the Phoenix project interested in testing on ARM64 too ?

It seems there is no interest at that point.
Don't hesitate to ping me if you decide to add ARM64 CI later! Or if you face any issue related to Linux ARM64!

Regards,
Martin