Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by C C <cc...@yahoo.com> on 2012/02/09 20:40:40 UTC

ServletException logging changes between 5.5 and 6.0/7.0?

Hello,

I'm seeing a difference in the way Tomcat handles logging exceptions thrown by a servlet, and I wonder if it's a configuration change or if this is simply how Tomcat is expected to behave.

Tomcat versions tested: 5.5.26, 6.0.35, 7.0.25
OS: Windows 7
Java: 1.5.0_22 for Tomcat 5.5.26 and 6.0.35, 1.6.0_24 for Tomcat 7.0.25

To test, I created a webapp with a single servlet, ExceptionServlet, that simply throw a ServletException in its service() method, e.g.:

public class ExceptionServlet extends HttpServlet {
        protected void service(HttpServletRequest arg0, HttpServletResponse arg1)

                        throws ServletException, IOException {
                throw new ServletException("HEY SERVLET EXCEPTION");
        }
}

Further, the webapp uses log4j (1.2.16) and commons-logging (1.1.1). The log4j.properties for the webapp looks like this:

log4j.rootLogger=INFO,A
log4j.appender.A=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender

log4j.appender.A.file=/opt/personal/logs/ex/ex.info.log
log4j.appender.A.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.A.layout.conversionPattern=%m%n
log4j.appender.A.maxFileSize=10MB
log4j.appender.A.maxBackupIndex=10

In a default deployment of Tomcat 5.5.26, I drop the webapp in the webapps directory, start up Tomcat, and call the ExceptionServlet. The resultant exception message and stack trace appear in the log file specified by the webapp's log4j.properties file, as I would expect.

Servlet.service() for servlet ex threw exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: HEY SERVLET EXCEPTION
        at personal.ExceptionServlet.service(ExceptionServlet.java:17)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)

However, in a default deployment of Tomcat 6.0.35 or Tomcat 7.0.25, when I drop the webapp in the webapps directory, start up the respective Tomcat, and invoke the ExceptionServlet, the resultant exception message and stack trace appear in the Tomcat's log file, e.g. $TOMCAT_HOME/logs/localhost.2012-02-09.log. It's pretty much the same log message as above:

# from Tomcat 7.0.25
SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet [ex] in context with path [/et] threw exception [HEY SERVLET EXCEPTION] with root cause
javax.servlet.ServletException: HEY SERVLET EXCEPTION
        at personal.ExceptionServlet.service(ExceptionServlet.java:17)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305)

I made no configuration changes to any of the Tomcat installations.

So I guess my questions are:

1. Is it correct to expect that exceptions thrown by a servlet should be logged in the webapp's log files?
2. If so, what changed between Tomcat 5.5 and Tomcat 6.0/7.0 that would cause exceptions thrown by a servlet to be logged in Tomcat's log files, or what configuration change do I need to make so that the exception appears in the webapp's logs?

Thanks in advance for any insights into my problem!

Chris

Re: ServletException logging changes between 5.5 and 6.0/7.0?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: ServletException logging changes between 5.5 and 6.0/7.0?

Posted by ken dias <ke...@hotmail.com>.
unsubscribe

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: ken dias [mailto:kendias@hotmail.com]
> Subject: RE: ServletException logging changes between 5.5 and 6.0/7.0?

> unsubscribe

Zero-for-three...

http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users

 - Chuck

RE: ServletException logging changes between 5.5 and 6.0/7.0?

Posted by ken dias <ke...@hotmail.com>.
unsubscribe

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

>>> So log4j.properties is located in WEB-INF/classes? Where is
>>> log4j.jar?
>>
>> My log4j.properties is in WEB-INF/classes, and log4j.jar is in
>> WEB-INF/lib.
>
> Okay.
>
>>> Do you have any other code in this example webapp -- for
>>> instance, something that actually loads the log4j.properties
>>> file?
>>
>> I don't have any other code in my example webapp. The only code is
>>  that ExceptionServlet. In the ExceptionServlet I don't have any
>> code that loads log4j.properties or configures log4j in any way.
>
> I wouldn't expect Tomcat to configure log4j for you in that case. I'm
> surprised that it somehow worked in Tomcat 5.5.

It makes sense.

Tomcat 5.5 comes with full commons-logging library and it can
autodetect if log4j is available.

In Tomcat 6.0 the default logging library has that detection code removed.
You have to download alternative copy of the library from "extras" to
re-enable autodetection (as was already mentioned in this thread
below).

>>> In order to use log4j with Tomcat 6.0 and 7.0, you need to
>>> download some Tomcat "extras" as described here:
>>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/logging.html#Using_Log4j

(...)

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: ServletException logging changes between 5.5 and 6.0/7.0?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Chris,

On 2/9/12 5:00 PM, C C wrote:
>> From: Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
>>
>> So log4j.properties is located in WEB-INF/classes? Where is
>> log4j.jar?
>
> My log4j.properties is in WEB-INF/classes, and log4j.jar is in
> WEB-INF/lib.

Okay.

>> Do you have any other code in this example webapp -- for
>> instance, something that actually loads the log4j.properties
>> file?
>
> I don't have any other code in my example webapp. The only code is
>  that ExceptionServlet. In the ExceptionServlet I don't have any
> code that loads log4j.properties or configures log4j in any way.

I wouldn't expect Tomcat to configure log4j for you in that case. I'm
surprised that it somehow worked in Tomcat 5.5.

>> In order to use log4j with Tomcat 6.0 and 7.0, you need to
>> download some Tomcat "extras" as described here:
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/logging.html#Using_Log4j
>
> Thanks, I've done this, and found it doesn't really address my
> problem. My problem is not that I want Tomcat6/7 to use log4j for
> logging, my problem is that, when my ExceptionServlet throws the
> ServletException, on TC5.5 the exception was logged in the
> webapp's log, whereas on TC6/7 it was logged in Tomcat's
> localhost.log.

Gotcha. I know for my webapps, I explicitly configure error handlers
in web.xml to catch errors, log them, and show nice messages to users.

> Konstantin provided a response which seemed to make sense: an
> exception thrown by a servlet is probably logged using
> Servlet.log(), so the log message should end up in the Context
> file. Because my webapp also had commons-logging.jar in
> WEB-INF/lib, that was probably interfering with / taking over the
> commons-logging.jar that is shipped with TC5.5. If I remove all
> the logging jars from my webapp on TC5.5, the behavior looks like
> TC6/7, where the servlet's exception is logged in Tomcat's log.

It's quite possible that Tomcat 5.5 wasn't re-naming packages to avoid
this kind of class interference, and that Tomcat was logging to the
webapp's logger. That's not how I understand the class and resource
using the "wrong" context class loader when trying to load the logging
configuration and getting yours. That might do it.

>> I wouldn't expect that at all, unless your log4j.properties file
>> lives at the server level and not at the webapp level. So, which
>> is it?
>
> Again, log4j.jar and log4j.properties at the webapp level. I think
> my understanding of where a servlet exception should be logged is
> incorrect, and the fact my webapp had commons-logging.jar somehow
> interfered with where the exception was logged. Does that sound
> about right?

Right: configure one or more error-page(s) in web.xml and point them
at a servlet that can log the errors appropriately. On the other hand,
you can configure Tomcat to log stuff that goes to
ServletContext.log() to go to the log file of your choice: you just
have to set it up using CATALINA_BASE/conf/logging.properties instead
of inside your webapp (which is one reason I wouldn't favor doing it:
because your logging configuration is outside of your webapp's control).

Hope that helps,

Posted by C C <cc...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Christopher,

>>  To test, I created a webapp with a single servlet,
>>  ExceptionServlet, that simply throw a ServletException in its
>>  service() method, e.g.:

... snip ...

> So log4j.properties is located in WEB-INF/classes?
> Where is log4j.jar?

My log4j.properties is in WEB-INF/classes, and log4j.jar is in WEB-INF/lib.

> Do you have any other code in this example webapp -- for instance,
> something that actually loads the log4j.properties file?

I don't have any other code in my example webapp. The only code is that ExceptionServlet. In the ExceptionServlet I don't have any code that loads log4j.properties or configures log4j in any way.

> In order to use log4j with Tomcat 6.0 and 7.0, you need to download
> some Tomcat "extras" as described here:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/logging.html#Using_Log4j

Thanks, I've done this, and found it doesn't really address my problem. My problem is not that I want Tomcat6/7 to use log4j for logging, my problem is that, when my ExceptionServlet throws the ServletException, on TC5.5 the exception was logged in the webapp's log, whereas on TC6/7 it was logged in Tomcat's localhost.log.

Konstantin provided a response which seemed to make sense: an exception thrown by a servlet is probably logged using Servlet.log(), so the log message should end up in the Context file. Because my webapp also had commons-logging.jar in WEB-INF/lib, that was probably interfering with / taking over the commons-logging.jar that is shipped with TC5.5. If I remove all the logging jars from my webapp on TC5.5, the behavior looks like TC6/7, where the servlet's exception is logged in Tomcat's log.

> So if you haven't done that, then log4j will not be used at all,
> unless you have both written some code to initialize log4j during
> webapp startup and written an error handler to capture errors and log
> them to some kind of log.
>
>>  In a default deployment of Tomcat 5.5.26, I drop the webapp in the
>>  webapps directory, start up Tomcat, and call the ExceptionServlet.
>>  The resultant exception message and stack trace appear in the log
>>  file specified by the webapp's log4j.properties file, as I would
>>  expect.
>
> I wouldn't expect that at all, unless your log4j.properties file lives
> at the server level and not at the webapp level. So, which is it?

Again, log4j.jar and log4j.properties at the webapp level. I think my understanding of where a servlet exception should be logged is incorrect, and the fact my webapp had commons-logging.jar somehow interfered with where the exception was logged. Does that sound about right?

Thanks,

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Chris,

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/2/9 C C <cc...@yahoo.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I'm seeing a difference in the way Tomcat handles logging exceptions thrown by a servlet, and I wonder if it's a configuration change or if this is simply how Tomcat is expected to behave.
>
> Tomcat versions tested: 5.5.26, 6.0.35, 7.0.25
> OS: Windows 7
> Java: 1.5.0_22 for Tomcat 5.5.26 and 6.0.35, 1.6.0_24 for Tomcat 7.0.25
>
> To test, I created a webapp with a single servlet, ExceptionServlet, that simply throw a ServletException in its service() method, e.g.:
>
> public class ExceptionServlet extends HttpServlet {
>         protected void service(HttpServletRequest arg0, HttpServletResponse arg1)
>
>                         throws ServletException, IOException {
>                 throw new ServletException("HEY SERVLET EXCEPTION");
>         }
> }
>

> Further, the webapp uses log4j (1.2.16) and commons-logging (1.1.1). The log4j.properties for the webapp looks like this:
>
> log4j.rootLogger=INFO,A
> log4j.appender.A=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
>
> log4j.appender.A.file=/opt/personal/logs/ex/ex.info.log
> log4j.appender.A.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.A.layout.conversionPattern=%m%n
> log4j.appender.A.maxFileSize=10MB
> log4j.appender.A.maxBackupIndex=10
>

> In a default deployment of Tomcat 5.5.26, I drop the webapp in the webapps directory, start up Tomcat, and call the ExceptionServlet. The resultant exception message and stack trace appear in the log file specified by the webapp's log4j.properties file, as I would expect.
>
> Servlet.service() for servlet ex threw exception
>
> javax.servlet.ServletException: HEY SERVLET EXCEPTION
>         at personal.ExceptionServlet.service(ExceptionServlet.java:17)
>         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)
>

> However, in a default deployment of Tomcat 6.0.35 or Tomcat 7.0.25, when I drop the webapp in the webapps directory, start up the respective Tomcat, and invoke the ExceptionServlet, the resultant exception message and stack trace appear in the Tomcat's log file, e.g. $TOMCAT_HOME/logs/localhost.2012-02-09.log. It's pretty much the same log message as above:
>
> # from Tomcat 7.0.25
> SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet [ex] in context with path [/et] threw exception [HEY SERVLET EXCEPTION] with root cause
> javax.servlet.ServletException: HEY SERVLET EXCEPTION
>         at personal.ExceptionServlet.service(ExceptionServlet.java:17)
>         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305)
>

> I made no configuration changes to any of the Tomcat installations.
>
> So I guess my questions are:
>
> 1. Is it correct to expect that exceptions thrown by a servlet should be logged in the webapp's log files?

No.

Out of the blue I would think that it would be logged into the same
file as if using Servlet.log() call. That goes to Context log file.

Thus it went to the localhost.log file, because you have not
configured a separate one for your context (like e.g. the manager app
does).  I do not know why your configuration worked in 5.5.

Note that logging implementation has changed between 5.5 and 6.0 (as
mentioned in the Migration Guide [1])  in that sense that Tomcat no
longer provides commons-logging.jar library to be used by
applications, but uses its own renamed version of the classes.  Maybe
it is related.

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/migration.html

> 2. If so, what changed between Tomcat 5.5 and Tomcat 6.0/7.0 that would cause exceptions thrown by a servlet to be logged in Tomcat's log files, or what configuration change do I need to make so that the exception appears in the webapp's logs?
>
> Thanks in advance for any insights into my problem!
>
> Chris

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko