Posted to users@maven.apache.org by ArneD <pu...@degenring.de> on 2006/05/29 08:39:48 UTC

Internal plugin repository - how to populate?

In many corporate environments it is unacceptable to let users download Maven
plugins automatically and directly from the Internet (even not through a
proxy). Therefore, it is necessary to set up an internal plugin repository.

Question: Is there an easy way how to initially populate the internal
repository with all the maven plugins needed?

I considered the following ways:
1. mvn deploy:deploy-file for all the plugin jars. Problem: This seems to be
a rather inconvenient approach with lots of manual work.
2. First popule a local repository by running all desired Maven goals, and
then copy the local repository contents to the internal remote repository.
Problem: As far as I understood, this wouldn't work, because a remote
repository contains some extra XML definition files, that are not available
in the local repository.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Arne

Re: Internal plugin repository - how to populate?

Posted by Feniks Nator <fe...@gmail.com>.
I agree, it's not an easy job. I'm having the same problems right now.
I hope the maven repository manager will solve some of those difficulties.
See: http://maven.apache.org/repository-manager
There not that much information available, as it's still under development.

Another 'option' is to use the Maven-Proxy, this also eases the setup of an
internal repository.
See: http://maven-proxy.codehaus.org/
However it does not really solve the problem of initializing the internal
repository.

If you find any good solution to this, please let me know. It would help us
also.