Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by kiransiri <si...@yahoo.co.in> on 2011/08/05 17:37:35 UTC

How to capture the Popups using jmeter

Hi All,

I am facing one of the problem in my application at the time of downloading
an file. I am unable to capture the request after click on download link. So
can anybody guide me how to capture those requests?

Steps:
1) Click on Download link
2) it asks to save the file
3) Select the drive where to save
4) click save

I am unable to capture the 2,3 & 4 steps....

Thanks in advance..

Sreekiran

Re: How to capture the Popups using jmeter

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
On 08/08/2011 06:43 PM, Deepak Shetty wrote:
> Aren't you missing that the user has already said that he can capture the
> link (in which case he is already measuring the time it takes to download
> the file) - and he has specifically asked to be able to record the save
> browser dialog.

I did unintentionally skip that. The reason is that I was left with the
impression that the OP thought that the download itself wasn't properly
measured.

You are correct of course in your assertion that this level of user
interaction is absolutely beside the point of load and stress testing
(especially when taking into account that browsers *will* start
downloading immediately, in the background, and not wait until the user
has filled the "save as" forms...)

Sorry for being an ass about it ;-)

Re: How to capture the Popups using jmeter

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
>I have to say that I disagree with almost everything written in this
thread.

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Umesh <um...@gmail.com>.
Sreekiran,
 As the way Deepak is saying, saving the file to local disk is client side
activities and the response time for doing the same differs from system to
system. So there is no point in doing the response time test for saving the
file. (Eg: If you are downloading/saving the file in Pentium3 system and the
latest I7 processor, the response times will be different. Reason being the
horse power in two processor is different.)

 The time taken to capture the pop-up with message saying "Do you want to
Download or save the file" is a server side message and Jmeter should be
able to capture that as its http call.

*Saving of a file or opening of file in browser/client machine are both
client side activities and fall outside the purview of performance testing.
  *

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 9:57 AM, kiransiri
<si...@yahoo.co.in>wrote:

> Hi Deepak,
>
> Thanks again for reply. I have the scenario need to test that How much time
> took for downloading a file. So, for that i am able to capture those
>
> Thanks
> sreekiran

Umesh H V,

"It takes a minute to have a crush an hour to like someone and a day to love
someone but it takes a lifetime to forget someone" Be in touch..

Re: How to capture the Popups using jmeter

Posted by Adrian Speteanu <as...@gmail.com>.
Consider using the proxy server to record the actions in the browser. For
details, consider studying JMeter basics, the online manual is good or this
entry-level book has a lot of examples of what to test and how to implement
it:
http://www.compendiumdev.co.uk/blog/index.php/2008/09/28/book-review-apache-jmeter-by-emily-h-halili/(other
books are also fine, not necessarily intended to promote this one)

Regards,
Adrian S

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
the question is why? generally in a load test you aren't interested in how
much time the client takes to save a file into his harddisk. in a functional
test you only care about whether you could retrieve the file and save it
(which you can do in jmeter).

Some of the tools that drive the browser may have this working (like QTP )
but I dont know for sure

regards
deepak

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Jmeter captures http interactions , not the actions that happen on a client
machine