Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Benoit TELLIER <bt...@apache.org> on 2023/05/01 15:14:32 UTC

Re: How to monitor IMAP protocol?

Hello Mark

  -> James should output error logs. Be it logback for Guice or Log4J
for spring
  -> Our arsenal also have awesome metrics integrated wit Prometheux
stack (guice only) or in logs

For your case, have you tried some commands yourself in telnet? I
suspect a connection problem, for instance firewall...

Best regards,

Benoit

Posted by Benoit TELLIER <bt...@apache.org>.
Hello Marc,

3.4.0 is a rather old release already and is no longer actively
maintained. Numerous bug had been fixed since then.

Thus I recommend you updating to 3.7.4.

Best regards,

Benoit TELLIER

On 03/05/2023 00:34, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
> [...]
> log4j.properties file is wrong? I just took a "monkey see, monkey do"
> approach when I set up the log4j.properties file using the example
> that was given.
>

>> Hope it helps...
> It does, again thanks for helping me, much appreciated!    Marc...
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Benoit TELLIER
>>
>> On 02/05/2023 11:15, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
>>> Hi Benoit, and thanks a million for your reply.  Yes, I have used
>>> telnet to make a connection on both the imap and smtp ports that my
>>> Apache James email server is listening on. I have successfully
>>> simulated sending and receiving emails by manually typing in the
>>> appropriate commands with lots of joy! Seems to work OK when making
>>> telnet connections just fine.
>>>
>>> However, what I am seeing when using Thunderbird as an email client,
>>> is that when doing something multiple times, the connection and
>>> commands work for a little while then things freeze up. For example,
>>> when fetching emails from the imap service, I get a few emails and
>>> then it hangs up. Ditto for running filters, the filters run for a
>>> bit, move a few emails, then hangs up. I don't know what the magic
>>> is, for getting back on track reliably, either. Sometimes restarting
>>> James and/or Thunderbird does the trick, but more often it keeps on
>>> failing for awhile and when I come back later it is running OK
>>> again. (again for a little while) So I would like to see what is
>>> going on with the imap and smtp communication layer itself to see if
>>> I can get any ideas.
>>>
>>> I have looked at the Apache James log files also, of course, and no
>>> joy discovering anything useful yet. One thing I do note is that
>>> only the james-server.log and the wrapper.log files contain any
>>> information. There are other files created, such as an
>>> imapserver.log file, but it does not contain anything. I wonder if I
>>> have a misconfiguration somewhere that is not allowing logging info
>>> to be directed to these other files. I can't find any thing wrong
>>> with my configuration files either, so for now I have set that
>>> problem aside while I try to pursue the more serious problem of some
>>> kind of a spotty connection issue. Maybe getting those other log
>>> files working would provide me with the information I need to solve
>>> this?
>>>
>>> I also see in the two log files that do contain information,
>>> exception errors with walk-back stack traces, but those seem
>>> unrelated to what I am doing at the time. (I get a LOT of bots doing
>>> brute force attacks against my server and a lot of these exception
>>> errors seem to be related to those attacks.)
>>>
>>> I am using the Spring wiring for Apache James, and believe with
>>> log4j logging. I will show the relevant property setting from the
>>> log4j.properties files for the imap service. Why nothing is showing
>>> up in the imapserver.log file is above my pay grade to grok.
>>>
>>> log4j.appender.IMAPSERVER=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender
>>> log4j.appender.IMAPSERVER.File=../log/imapserver.log
>>> log4j.appender.IMAPSERVER.DatePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd
>>> log4j.appender.IMAPSERVER.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com.INVALID>.
> [...]

>> log4j.appender.IMAPSERVER.DatePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd
>> log4j.appender.IMAPSERVER.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
>> log4j.appender.IMAPSERVER.layout.ConversionPattern=%-5p
>> %d{HH:mm:ss,SSS} | %c | %m%n
>> ... more stuff not shown here
>> log4j.logger.james=DEBUG, CONS, FILE
>> log4j.logger=DEBUG, CONS, FILE
>> ... more stuff not shown here
>> log4j.logger.james.imapserver=DEBUG, IMAPSERVER
>>
>> HTH...  Marc
>>

>> On 5/1/23 08:14, Benoit TELLIER wrote:
>>> Hello Mark
>>>
>>>  -> James should output error logs. Be it logback for Guice or Log4J
>>> for spring
>>>  -> Our arsenal also have awesome metrics integrated wit Prometheux
>>> stack (guice only) or in logs
>>>
>>> For your case, have you tried some commands yourself in telnet? I
>>> suspect a connection problem, for instance firewall...

<b>Computers: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the user Marc.<br>
His mission: to explore strange new hardware. To seek out new software and new applications.<br>
To boldly go where no Marc has gone before!<br></b>

Re: How to monitor IMAP protocol?

Posted by Benoit TELLIER <bt...@apache.org>.
Hello Marc,

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com.INVALID>.