Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by gandhi rajan <ga...@gmail.com> on 2023/03/09 09:45:17 UTC

Re: It is Official! Steps toward a cTAKES 5.0 release.

I would suggest that we wait for the new Artifact Distribution Platform and
plan for cTAKES 5.0 as churning out a new release in the traditional way
may get disconnected once the new distribution platform is out.

+1 on waiting.

On Wed, 8 Mar 2023 at 18:59, Finan, Sean
<Se...@childrens.harvard.edu.invalid> wrote:

> Hi all Apache cTAKES developers and users,
>
> I have news on the release front ...
>
> The Apache Infrastructure team is working on a new Artifact Distribution
> Platform.  It will be used to upload and promote release artifacts, sign
> keys, and host distributions in a fashion that is informative and
> attractive to a user.
>
> Some of the old/current items that are part of an Apache project release
> are going to be "legacy" and there are some new metadata items that go with
> a release artifact.
>
> I see two paths moving forward:
>

>   1.   We push on with a release of cTAKES 5.0 and release in the current
> style.
>   2.   We wait a couple of months until the Apache Infrastructure team has
> the new Artifact Distribution Platform ready and use it to release.
>
> For #1 please keep in mind that we still haven't had a volunteer for the
> primary Release Manager.  Gandhi Rajan has volunteered to be co-RM but it
> will be a two-person job.
>
> Either way can create Release Candidate source branches on GitHub to be
> tested and have issues posted on the cTAKES GitHub issues list.
>
> This manner of Release Candidate testing would be a deviation from the
> method of creating Release Candidate artifacts including binary
> installations and putting them in a Subversion (svn) repository online.
> We can probably place "binary installation" artifacts on GitHub, but
> somebody will need to check on space limits and other rules before we can
> make any promises there.  If there is some barrier there then testers would
> need to test binary installations by build/packaging locally on their
> system - which is a good thing to have tested anyway.
>
> So, please post any thoughts or questions in reply to this email and we
> can try to figure out where to go from here.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Sean

Gandhi

"The best way to find urself is to lose urself in the service of others !!!"