Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com> on 2015/06/09 20:19:32 UTC

KIP Call Notes

Shortest KIP discussion ever :)

Here are my notes. Feel free to correct or expand:

SSL: Harsh is rebasing after Kafka-1928, and resolving an issue with
support for specific API

KIP-4  - ISR in Metadata request: We prefer to preserve this information.

KIP-25 - System Tests: Geoffrey posted an update with discussion
summary, there were no objections to the proposal. We will wait a day
before starting a vote.

New consumer - Separate the API changes for metadata to a new JIRA.
Since the new consumer is still work in progress, there's no need for
KIP for every modification.

Re: KIP Call Notes

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Jayesh,

Most of the metadata you mentioned already exist. For example, ISR is
already in the TopicMetadataResponse and the high water mark can be
returned from the OffsetRequest. The details of the current wire protocol
can be found at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/A+Guide+To+The+Kafka+Protocol

We have another KIP (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-24+-+Remove+ISR+information+from+TopicMetadataRequest+and+add+broker+level+metadata+request)
to add a new request for collecting some broker level info. There will be a
discussion thread on this at some point that you can chime in.

Thanks,

Jun

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 8:42 AM, Jayesh Thakrar <j_thakrar@yahoo.com.invalid

Re: KIP Call Notes