Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/23 17:55:15 UTC

[WODEN] Future of Woden Axiom implementation ?

Hi Devs,

I'm thinking about future of Axiom (OM) based implementation of Woden
API for sometime, whether we should continue or drop support from next
release ?

AFAIK original objective of OM implementation is to support Axis2 but
in fact Axis2 never used OM implementation instead Axis2 still use DOM
based implementation. Also in my POV there is no such drawbacks with
DOM implementation to move Axis2 to use OM implementation. At the
moment there is no clear indication about users of OM implementation
too.  In this situation it is kind of a overhead to maintain OM
implementation further specially with small number of developers.  At
the beginning Woden had plans for number of cool features such as
supporting to both WSDL versions etc, but all original developers have
been disappeared from the community few years ago hence it's seem OK
to re-prioritize objectives based on current requirements and
resources.

This also important decision to reduce complexities among Woden
artifacts, at the moment it's required  to have at least 3 JAR files
to use Woden framework as woden-api, woden-impl-common  and
woden-impl-dom/woden-impl-om. Dropping OM implementation allows  to
merge these artifacts and deliver above 3 module as a single JAR file
called woden.jar.  IMO this kind of single artifact deliverables are
more natural for utility projects and easy to deploy on OGSI
containers too.

Personally I don't have energy to maintain both implementations, also
without actual users  no point to maintain OM implementation further.
Based on above facts I would like to suggest terminate OM support from
next release and move forward the project with what ever the useful
features.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks !
--
Sagara Gunathunga

Blog      - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
Web      - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/

Re: [WODEN] Future of Woden Axiom implementation ?

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
Sound good, I will proceed with required changes.

Thanks !

Fwd: [WODEN] Future of Woden Axiom implementation ?

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
Woden and WS developers discussing about to drop Axiom based Woden
implementation from next release. This is basically due to no
indication from users about use of this implementation and maintenance
overhead.   We believe drop unused components and maintain/develop
what ever the useful components is a important step to keep Woden
project healthy.

We will continue to support Woden DOM based implantation and we would
like to know your thoughts on this ?

Thanks !

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sagara,

If you're correct that there are no current consumers of the Axiom impl of
Woden I think your proposal makes good sense. Best to focus the efforts of
the small number of active contributors on a code base that sees usage.

Lawrence

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Hello Jochen

apparently I am the only person that has implemented axiom in a live commercial implementation so clearly i hold a minority opinion

I agree there are alot more constructive use of devs time and effort than say pulling an dependent subsystem but
if every enhancement forces you to duplicate every dom integration effort with woden integration
then a strong case can be made to the panelists to support the stronger more stable subsystem and drop support for the dupe subsystem
(best if we could see see a matrix to verify woden and dom featuresets are indeed identical)

On a side note here is what I see are Axis 3 main drawbacks in order of priority
1)antiquated use of build.xml in build scripts instead of refactoring all builds to version aware SCM e.g. maven (3)..server and client scripts are all ant based..
2)lack of esb
3)process lacks adherence to apache vote by democracy rules..one person says 'do it' and then another makes vast sweeping changes to working code
without bothering to put the effort to a vote (majority wins) for a fixed period of time (usually 72 hours)..sagara has graciously revived the apache process
with his request for comment on deprecating woden

Granted alot of people are going on vaca now (including myself) so resources (peoples time to research,design and code, test and integrate) are limited
 but we need to address the axis2 community collectively to gain consensus for each effort before committing sweeping changes

The end result *should be* increased adoption of Axis2 in the SAAS community

WDYT
Martin
Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
On Saturday, June 23, 2012, Deepal jayasinghe wrote:

> What is the status of WSDL 2.0 ? how many WS stacks use WSDL 2.0 ?.

WSDL 2.0 spec is kinda completed and became an official W3C recommendation
in 2007 but not widely adopted. AFAIK Axis2 is the only stack which support
for WSDL 2.0 fully.

Thanks !

> Deepal
> > Hi Devs,
> >
> > I'm thinking about future of Axiom (OM) based implementation of Woden
> > API for sometime, whether we should continue or drop support from next
> > release ?
> >
> > AFAIK original objective of OM implementation is to support Axis2 but
> > in fact Axis2 never used OM implementation instead Axis2 still use DOM
> > based implementation. Also in my POV there is no such drawbacks with
> > DOM implementation to move Axis2 to use OM implementation. At the
> > moment there is no clear indication about users of OM implementation
> > too.  In this situation it is kind of a overhead to maintain OM
> > implementation further specially with small number of developers.  At
> > the beginning Woden had plans for number of cool features such as
> > supporting to both WSDL versions etc, but all original developers have
> > been disappeared from the community few years ago hence it's seem OK
> > to re-prioritize objectives based on current requirements and
> > resources.
> >
> > This also important decision to reduce complexities among Woden
> > artifacts, at the moment it's required  to have at least 3 JAR files
> > to use Woden framework as woden-api, woden-impl-common  and
> > woden-impl-dom/woden-impl-om. Dropping OM implementation allows  to
> > merge these artifacts and deliver above 3 module as a single JAR file
> > called woden.jar.  IMO this kind of single artifact deliverables are
> > more natural for utility projects and easy to deploy on OGSI
> > containers too.
> >
> > Personally I don't have energy to maintain both implementations, also
> > without actual users  no point to maintain OM implementation further.
> > Based on above facts I would like to suggest terminate OM support from
> > next release and move forward the project with what ever the useful
> > features.
> >
> > Any thoughts ?
> >

> > Thanks !

Sent from Gmail Mobile

RE: [WODEN] Future of Woden Axiom implementation ?

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
 if DOM version delivers the same functionality as WODEN then i agree with larry..further AXIOM development should implement DOM (and deprecate woden)
 unless of course someone wants to fork the woden implementation!

Thanks,
Martin

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Ive have extensively implemented DOM4j based Axiom specifically: <groupId>org.apache.ws.commons.axiom</groupId>
    <artifactId>axiom</artifactId>
    <name>Axiom</name>
    <version>1.2.9-SNAPSHOT</version> I have'nt seen any matrix detailing the capabilities of axiom-woden vs axiom-dom4j so I cannot say dropping woden would impact future Axiom implementationsbut it does seem like a duplication of effort to support both OM implementations Is there a matrix available to illustrate features and functions capabilities of axiom-woden vs axiom-dom4j?Martin------------------------------------

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
I'm certainly OK with this as it seems to make a lot of sense to me.   That
said, not being a Woden user or anything, I'm not sure how many people use
Woden.  You may want to post a note to the users@ list as a quick poll to
say "we're thinking of doing XYZ, how badly  would you be affected" or
something to see if any users would be overly concerned.   I'm not saying we
shouldn't do it if there ARE users, but it would at least be a data point to
consider.   If the only real "user" of Woden is Axis2, that's another good
thing to know.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp