Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@hotmail.com> on 2003/09/30 16:49:58 UTC

[collections] Re: Working commons-collections nightly no longer available

Tim Anderson wrote:

>From: "Tim Anderson" <tm...@netspace.net.au>
>To: <de...@axion.tigris.org>
>Subject: Working commons-collections nightly no longer available
>Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:30:44 +1000
>
>Hi,
>	I'm trying to get M2 running, but it looks like
>there is no longer a nightly build of commons-collections
>available which contains the primitive collections.
>The relevant classes appear to have been moved into
>jakarta-commons-sandbox/primitives.

Not exactly.  The jakarta-commons sub-project has elected to split
commons-collections into at least two JARs--one containing the object-based
collections and one containing the primitive collections.  Initially there
were three JARs: commons-collections.jar, containing everything, and
commons-collections-objects.jar and commons-collections-primitives.jar,
containing the object based and primitive based collections, respectively.

Recently the nightly builds have been changed so that
commons-collections.jar contains only the object based classes, so that
-primitives is the only JAR that contains the primitive collections.
Unfortunately, the nightly builds were not updated to actually publish the
-primitives JAR anywhere, making a pre-built binary version is unavailable.

Personally, I strongly prefer having a single JAR containing
org.apache.commons.collections.** available, but whether this is named
commons-collections.jar, commons-collections-all.jar, or anything else
reasonable isn't a signficant issue for me.

The sandbox primitives package is an alternative implementation of primitive
collections and possibly more, but is not currently a replacement for
org.apache.commons.collections.primitives.*.  The 3.0 release of collections
will contain the current primitive classes.

>There is a SNAPSHOT version on ibiblio.org, but was
>built in April.
>Would it be possible for a datestamped snapshot version
>of commons-collections containing the necessary classes
>to be uploaded to ibiblio.org?

If the snapshot currently on ibiblio doesn't contain all the requistite
classes I'll be happy to lobby the maven folks to upload something that
will, but I believe the ibiblio snapshot is sufficient.

In the interim, a hand-rolled build of commons-collections (either maven or
Ant should be OK) should contain the primitive collections in one JAR or
another.  If I get some time today, I'll try to make a build available
somewhere, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get to it terribly soon.

>Thanks,
>
>Tim

- Rod

PS: Note I'm cross-posting this to both dev@axion and commons-dev@jakarta,
as I think the commons-dev team should be aware of this issue.

Re: [collections] Re: Working commons-collections nightly no longer available

Posted by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> The nightly build process for Commons packages (for Collections, the
> output goes to
> <http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/nightly/commons-collections/>)
> runs on my home server, and simply runs an "ant dist" on each package,
> tars/zips up the output in the "dist" directory and the source, and
> publishes them.  You will note that recent nightly builds (such as last
> night's -- 20030930) do indeed contain both JARs.

My mistake.  I had assumed based upon the changes to build.xml and from
Tim's report that only commons-collections.jar was available in the
nightly distro.

Tim, you'll want to grab both JARs from the nightlies for now.

> The nightly build process for Commons packages does not, and never has,
> automated the publishing of the individual JAR files anywhere.  In
> particular, publishing anything to ibiblio is something that someone
> else would need to be doing.

Yes, of course.  I don't think anyone expected otherwise.  Thanks Craig.

- Rod <http://radio.weblogs.com/0122027/>

RE: [collections] Re: Working commons-collections nightly no longer available

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Rodney Waldhoff wrote:

> Personally, I strongly prefer having a single JAR containing
> org.apache.commons.collections.** available, but whether this is named
> commons-collections.jar, commons-collections-all.jar, or anything else
> reasonable isn't a signficant issue for me.

Same here.  I would prefer a single, easier to update, package.  Although I
am getting used to multiple jar packages, since other projects are electing
to publish interface and implementation jars, and not providing a useful jar
containing both packages.

	--- Noel

Re: [collections] Re: Working commons-collections nightly no longer available

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.