Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steve Vanspall <st...@crmsoftware.com.au> on 2005/03/31 09:38:38 UTC

Tomcat Hang on Linux (hangs the entire system)

Hi there,

I am posting this in a few areas because I cannot pinpoint where the

problem stems from.

I have a standard Pentium III bases pc running linux.

It has only 380 meg (or therabouts) of ram

Using IBM JVM 1.4.1 and tomcat 4.1.18 (I know there are later version, but

they all hang)

I have 2 webapps running. One of them uses Apache to translate two

different domain to the right ibay for it's content but uses the same code

base. The second webapp is accessed, currently, using

http://www.mycomapny.com:8080/MyApp style URL.

The webapp just hangs. It will not load any pages, and when it hangs, both

webapps hang. So I think this is a Tomcat or Java or Linux error. Once the

hang occurs I cannot do a ps -ef as this also hangs. My only option is to

reboot the machine. But it hangs half way and has to be physically powered

off. We are going to put a new, more powerful computer in there, but for

now I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced such a problem. Can

you give me some pointers as to where to look for the source of the

problem.

This has happened before, and I got no information about it. I know it's a

pretty vague explanation, but I don't know what more informationI can give

you.

The log files do not show any errors, and it never happens at the same

point

in the web application. At first I thought it happen when concurrent users

logged in, but that's not the case either, and I have trimmed down the

sychornicity management when accesing Singletons in my web app.

Now I have been through all my code, and cannot find anything that should

be causing an error. I have run the code under a number of different

cirsumstances on my development machine (Windows 2000) and

everything runs without a problem.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Steve

Re: Tomcat Hang on Linux (hangs the entire system)

Posted by vi...@mymcsb.com.
Hi,

You can try the following step by step approach

1) Check whether you are able to run the examples application in tomcat. If you are not able to run that there's a problem with tomcat configuration or the JVM.

2) If that runs smoothly without any problems, check your application and ensure that it doesn't go into any infinite loops etc, since that's one runaway thing that can bring down the whole machine consuming lot of cpu and perhaps even memory leaving no room for anything else.

3) If your application is OK, make sure no other application is consuming lot of CPU or memory.

Posted by Viorel Dragomir <vd...@wylog.com>.

Posted by Drew Jorgenson <de...@omniplatform.com>.
Check your RAM, might be bad

Drew.