Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/19 05:29:02 UTC

Remove folders under folders from Media Files?

Hi Team, I've earlier gotten rid of subcategories below categories and
bookmark folders under bookmark folders (for the latter, still allowing
multiple folders, although all top-level now.)  In both cases, the code
shrunk considerably with the remaining code being much simpler and robust.

I wonder if we should be doing the same for Media Files -- i.e., like
Bookmarks, allow as many top-level Media File folders as desired but
remove the ability to create subfolders under folders. (The migration
for blogs using older Roller versions, as done earlier with Bookmarks
and Catgories, will just make any subfolder a top-level folder.)  Our
Jenkins failures for the past month may very well be related to this
issue and we've had other JPA headaches with Media Files in the past, so
simplifying Media Files in this manner would probably result in a more
solid Roller.

As a practical matter, those with up to a few hundred media files will
not be impacted much with this change, they can still chop up their
media files in the 10-20 top-level folders they would want. For those
going beyond that, i.e., where subfolders are likely to become handy, I
view it more likely that people will start to hold their photos on
Flickr or similar services and just embed the photos/slideshows on their
blog (Flickr already offers two nice embedding services using iframes
and HTML img tags); or due to the fact that Roller already limits media
files to a single blog and not per-blog server, store their images in a
common CMS like Apache Jackrabbit where it can be accessed by multiple
blogs and other non-blog websites.  In other words, a company with 4000
images is probably not going to be manually uploading them via Roller's
Media Files functionality to each blog needing them but just storing
them centrally anyway, outside of Roller.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Glen

Re: Remove folders under folders from Media Files?

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
If I get this done, I will make sure that's all the case.

Glen

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.