Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Decebal Suiu <de...@asf.ro> on 2012/04/19 21:38:38 UTC

A/B testing with wicket

Hello

Any advice how can I implement the A/B testing
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A/B_testing) in wicket. Anybody already
implemented this concept in an ecommerce or page landing site?

Thanks,
Decebal

RE: A/B testing with wicket

Posted by Jeffrey Schneller <je...@envisa.com>.
We have done what I think is some pretty extensive A/B testing using wicket.  As someone suggested, you can use Google Website Optimizer/Google Analytics to do some A/B testing.  I found that approach is great for simple testing such as Sentence A vs Sentence B or Color A vs Color B.  If you need more advanced A/B testing such as page flow, etc.., the google platform will not be as easy to use.  The localization-and-skinning of pages is also a possibility but that will only get you look and feel changes.

We performed A/B testing on a page flow [workflow] and large content blocks.  This was all handled by wicket and we used google analytics to track the events and page views.  When a session is created, we assigned the user randomly to an A or B group and set a cookie so that on future visits they would be in the same group.  There is a bit more detail in this as we also assigned a test number so that when a new test was run on a different area of the site we could re-assign the groups.  Then in a base page we pushed some javascript out basically setting the test number and A/B group out to Google Analytics using custom variables.  In the area of code that we wanted to test we would have an if A then do A group stuff else do the B group stuff.  This was usually on a link or click event but we could also show different panels this way or set large blocks of WebMarkupContainers to not visible using this approach.  Google Analytics events were fired as needed to track events or flow between pages.  Once the framework was in place we could quickly run an A/B test and turn it off just as quickly with a flag to enable or disable A/B testing.

One thing to keep in mind with A/B testing is that you need to test one discrete thing at a time otherwise you begin to do multi-variant testing which is possible just much more complicated.  In either case brush up on your statistics knowledge to analyze the data and know when you have enough statistically relevant data or you will be making decisions on what could be bogus data.

Posted by Fergal Keating <fe...@directski.com>.
You can use style and variation. Setting default style works automatically
to load differing HTML files for the same components.

https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/localization-and-skinning-of-applications.html

On 20 April 2012 09:08, Decebal Suiu <de...@asf.ro> wrote:

> Maybe Google Website Optimizer/ Google Analytics and not Google AddWords.
> My
> idea is to use Component.getVariation() as start point.
>
> Best reagrds,
> Decebal

Fergal Keating
IT Senior Engineer
e. fergal.keating@directski.com
p. NA
w. www.directski.com

Re: A/B testing with wicket

Re: A/B testing with wicket

Posted by Martin Makundi <ma...@koodaripalvelut.com>.
You can use Google adwords to implement A/B testing.

**
Martin