Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tim Bingham <ti...@comcast.net> on 2007/02/03 04:40:12 UTC

Bootstrapping nightly build from subversion

I'm planning to set up automatic nightly builds of our source code.
The source code is stored in subversion and I'd also like to store
the nightly build script there. This raises the issue of how to get
the nightly-build started.

I could have a small bootstrap script outside of subversion, invoked
by cron, which creates a working copy of the nightly-build script
(directory) and invokes it with appropriate arguments. The nightly-
build script would, in turn, create a working copy of the source and
then invoke the makefile etc.

Unfortunately the bootstrap script itself would have to live outside
of subversion, but I'd really like to have _all_ of our scripts under
revision control.

I'd be interested to hear how the members of this list have solved
this problem.

Thanks,
Tim.

Re: Bootstrapping nightly build from subversion

Posted by Tim Bingham <Ti...@comcast.net>.
On Feb 5, 2007, at 11:09 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:

> We've been using a process that works with CVS - don't suspect it
> would be much different with Subversion.
>
> Yes, we have a cron entry that's not in CVS.  We've modified the
> run time now and then, but otherwise it doesn't change:
>
> 00 04 * * 1-5 /my/up-test/admin/bin/update > /dev/null 2>&1
>
> All scripts, etc. in admin/bin are in CVS.  When we modify the
> update script itself, the next run of the update will replace it
> and the run _after_ will actually run the new code.

Hi Jim,

Thanks, that looks like it'll work nicely for us.

The missing piece for me was that I must create the very first
working copy of the script by hand, but after that the script can
update itself.

Cheers,

Posted by Jim Thompson <ji...@doit.wisc.edu>.
We've been using a process that works with CVS - don't suspect it would
be much different with Subversion.

Yes, we have a cron entry that's not in CVS.  We've modified the run
time now and then, but otherwise it doesn't change:

00 04 * * 1-5 /my/up-test/admin/bin/update > /dev/null 2>&1

All scripts, etc. in admin/bin are in CVS.  When we modify the update
script itself, the next run of the update will replace it and the run
_after_ will actually run the new code.

Cheers,
Jim

Posted by Tim Bingham <Ti...@comcast.net>.
On Feb 5, 2007, at 8:56 AM, KM wrote:

> Why would this really be necessary?

Well its not _absolutely_ necessary. However, I'm at a start-up,
we're growing like crazy and at the same time we're trying to be more
disciplined. Any important script that's not under revision control
seems like it's another opportunity for a quick fix to an immediate
problem faced by one developer, to adversely impact everyone else.

Posted by KM <in...@yahoo.com>.
[...]

Never Miss an Email