Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org> on 2017/10/24 15:48:35 UTC

Import of Code to ASF Infrastructure

An issue came up on the Apache Legal bug tracker that has a similar
situation to ours.

Apache Heron is in a similar stage to us in incubation. They are working
to transition over to the ASF infrastructure. Their original code is
under a permissive license (Apache v2), but they do not have SGAs in
place yet, and they wanted to know if they could import their code to
ASF. The result of the issue is that since the code is under a
permissive license, it is okay to import the code to the ASF git, and
just not change any license headers yet. Once the remaining SGAs are in
place we can change the headers. We can even do releases, but it will
prevent graduation, but I suspect we'll have SGAs in place before our
first ASF release.

Related, I was thinking that if we were to do it, now would be a good
time to rename all the old branches and tags to use the new Branch & Tag
workflow [1] so that all future tags/branch are consistent with the old.
This would just mean that all rc/alpha tags would have a 'v' prepended
(e.g. 1.0.0-rc1 -> v1.0.0-rc1), all other tags have 'rel/v' (e.g. 1.0.0
-> rel/v1.0.0), and all branches have a 'support/v' prepended and the
last digit becomes an 'x' (e.g 1.0.0 -> support/v1.0.x). This won't
change what the tags/branches point to, just changes their names.

Since this would mean the tags change (which git tends to avoid), this
will mean that we should all clone the new repo and work out of that, no
longer using our old clones. This will ensure no old tags stick around.
For any ongoing work, something like git format-patch would be a good
method to get the changes to the new repo.

Any thoughts/concerns with this?

- Steve

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DAFFODIL/Branch+and+Tag+Workflow

Re: Import of Code to ASF Infrastructure

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.
On 10/24/2017 02:11 PM, John D. Ament wrote:
> Steve,
>
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 2:01 PM Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> The problem is you really can't delete tags in git, so now is really the
>> best time to do it since we're moving repos.
>>

> Yes you can delete tags.  In git, tags are not immutable.

Ah you're right, I thought tags were a bit more restrictive about being
deleted, but it looks like that's not the case. We'll all probably want
to delete the old tags locally so they don't accidentally come back with
a git push --tags, but that's not too big of a deal.

I retract the below stuff. If there are no objections with the renaming
of tags/branches and just adding the ASF repo as a new remote to your
existing repo, I'll work on getting that repo set up tomorrow.

>> Is the disruption having to move your local review branches from one
>> repo to another? If so, I think I found a decent solution to make a
>> clean cut over with just a handful of commands:
>>
>> Make sure all your changes are committed to a review branch in your old
>> repo. Move your current repo to a backup location:
>>
>>  $ mv daffodil.git daffodil-ncsa.git
>>
>> Now clone the ASF git repo that will contain only the new tags/branches,
>> this will be the new git repo:
>>
>>   $ git clone ${PATH_TO_APCHE_REPO_TBD} daffodil.git
>>   $ cd daffodil.git
>>

> you're better off just adding a remote to the ASF than deleting the repo.

Makes sense.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Steve,

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.
The git repo is now populated with the new tag and branch names. The ASF
repo is here:

  https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-daffodil.git

The GitHub mirror is:

  https://github.com/apache/incubator-daffodil

You can now create a GitHub fork of the mirror and add your fork and the
ASF repo as remotes to your existing repo. As a reminder, the code
contributor workflow for is available here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DAFFODIL/Code+Contributor+Workflow

- Steve

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
The writable URL is