Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by James Mason <ma...@apache.org> on 2004/08/22 08:49:11 UTC

Re: Where To Start

Jack Kada wrote:
> Andreas,
>
> Thanks so much for getting back to me.  I see what you
> mean about the front page and things are looking
> better.
>
> If you dont mind - I kind of gave up using Slide in
> favour of Apache webDav module with Apache2.  Do you
> have any thoughts on this.  This was really because of
> the lack of documentation.

Slide has a lot more features than mod_dav, but it is a bit more
complicated. Depending on your needs mod_dav might be perfectly fine.

The documentation is a bit slim, but mostly when it comes to extending
Slide (implementing custom Stores, things like that).

>  If i am able to get help from this mailing list
> regarding setting up slide i would be more then happy
> to contribute to Slide by writing a quick start
> tutorial so that future developers dont have to have a
> hard time using this.

It would be great if you could do this. The Tomcat bundle download is
pretty straight forward but the webapp download can be a pain to get
running with authentication.

> Do you mind telling me where the paths for the files
> are kept.  In the domain.xml you set up scope to be
> "/files" (say)  where is that /files actually kept?

If you look at the <data> section of Domain.xml you'll see where the
default data is located. Three users are created under /users, three
default roles are created under /roles, the basic actions are created
under /actions, some versioning things are setup, an empty /files node
is created and some basic permissions are granted so that the default
users can get things done.

> Furthermore, how to create several folders for each
> project.  i know how to use Jass module and i dont
> need any help with the Java programming side.  Just
> setting things up is causing me problems

I'm not sure I understand this question. With the default setup using
any webdav client you can log in as root, john or john2 and start
issuing MKCOL commands under /files to create new collections.

-James