Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by "James E. King III" <jk...@apache.org> on 2018/12/26 17:03:02 UTC

C++03 and Thrift 0.12.0++

I posted a message on the user mailing list and nobody replied.

I'd like to designate thrift-0.12.0 the last thrift release that supports
C++03 for the runtime library.  There is an effort underway (albeit
stalled) to convert to using C++11 items over boost.  This is tracked in
THRIFT-4441 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-4441> in Jira.
Having two runtime libraries (one that uses boost and one that uses C++11)
will be a problem for downstream packagers.  It will also simplify
THRIFT-4441 and allow it to be completed.  For now the unit tests will
still require boost for Boost.Test, since many tests use it.  We could
convert to gtest (gmock) here.  Finally, with the removal of boost from the
C++ library we will also remove the posix and boost thread classes, and
rename the std thread class to be the only thread class, removing some
nasty non-inherited implementation build decisions.  In fact a number of
things in the threading area may end up being simplified.

As a reference point on C++03, Boost is starting to move away from C++03
support.  It's now on a per-repository-maintainer decision.  Also, folks
who need boost and C++03 support can use 0.12.0 or earlier.

Are there any objections?

- Jim

Re: C++03 and Thrift 0.12.0++

Posted by Randy Abernethy <ra...@rx-m.com>.
+1 for dropping 03 support going forward.

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 9:03 AM James E. King III <jk...@apache.org> wrote:

> I posted a message on the user mailing list and nobody replied.
>
> I'd like to designate thrift-0.12.0 the last thrift release that supports
> C++03 for the runtime library.  There is an effort underway (albeit
> stalled) to convert to using C++11 items over boost.  This is tracked in
> THRIFT-4441 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-4441> in Jira.
> Having two runtime libraries (one that uses boost and one that uses C++11)
> will be a problem for downstream packagers.  It will also simplify
> THRIFT-4441 and allow it to be completed.  For now the unit tests will
> still require boost for Boost.Test, since many tests use it.  We could
> convert to gtest (gmock) here.  Finally, with the removal of boost from the
> C++ library we will also remove the posix and boost thread classes, and
> rename the std thread class to be the only thread class, removing some
> nasty non-inherited implementation build decisions.  In fact a number of
> things in the threading area may end up being simplified.
>
> As a reference point on C++03, Boost is starting to move away from C++03
> support.  It's now on a per-repository-maintainer decision.  Also, folks
> who need boost and C++03 support can use 0.12.0 or earlier.
>
> Are there any objections?
>
> - Jim

Randy Abernethy
Managing Partner