Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de> on 2012/05/03 23:10:42 UTC

Re: Distributing AOO 3.4: The 22 things we need to do before we announce

Am 04/29/2012 11:50 PM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
> Am 04/29/2012 09:23 PM, schrieb Regina Henschel:
>> Hi Marcus,
>>
>> Marcus (OOo) schrieb:

>> Good idea to start.
>>

>>> The draft setup is finished. Please have a look here:
>>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/legacy/index.html
>>>

>> The interaction of the orange and green part is confusing. There is text
>> "green button" but there is no green "button".
>>
>> The orange text itself is a hyperlink, but what target?
>>
>> The user might come to that page via search, but do not want the
>> "legacy" but an actual version. I miss a hint, where to go.
>>
>> Please compare with http://www.openoffice.org/download/archive.html,
>> from where I took the sentence in my suggestion.
>>
>> I suggest to use the orange part as information box.
>>
>> Legacy OpenOffice.org
>>
>> If you are searching for the most recent installation set, please visit
>> the <link>Apache OpenOffice download</link> webpage. Please note that
>> archived builds are unsupported and may contain security issues. So,
>> it's highly recommended not to use them but only when there is no other
>> and better choice.
>> OpenOffice.org is licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License
>> v3 (LGPL v3)
>>
>> Download OpenOffice.org 3.3.0

> Thanks for the hints. To do the HTML and JS stuff is easier than to find
> the right words. ;-)
>
> Due to the CSS stuff I had to modify it a bit. I hope it's more clear now.
>
> Marcus

I've edited both webpages again:

http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/legacy/index.html
http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/legacy/other.html

When I don't hear any further feedback I'll publish this as final.

Thanks

Marcus

Re: Distributing AOO 3.4: The 22 things we need to do before we announce

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05/03/2012 11:25 PM, schrieb Dave Fisher:

> On May 3, 2012, at 2:10 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

>>> Thanks for the hints. To do the HTML and JS stuff is easier than to find
>>> the right words. ;-)
>>>
>>> Due to the CSS stuff I had to modify it a bit. I hope it's more clear now.
>>>
>>> Marcus
>>
>> I've edited both webpages again:
>>
>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/legacy/index.html
>
> I have only one criticism.
>
> The phrase: "OpenOffice.org is licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License v3 (LGPL v3)" appears twice on the same button.

Really the same? For me it's a) in the bigger one and b) in the first
small one. But maybe doesn't matter.

In a) I wanted to explain what the lisence is and in b) to refer to the
full text.

However, as Pedro wanted to remove all pre-ALv2 lisencing text from
"http://www.openoffice.org/license.html" I will link directly to the
text from GNU.org and name the link different.

> Otherwise great!

Thanks

Marcus

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 3, 2012, at 2:10 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

> Am 04/29/2012 11:50 PM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
>> Am 04/29/2012 09:23 PM, schrieb Regina Henschel:
>>> Hi Marcus,

>>> Good idea to start.

>>> The interaction of the orange and green part is confusing. There is text
>>> "green button" but there is no green "button".
>>>
>>> The orange text itself is a hyperlink, but what target?
>>>
>>> The user might come to that page via search, but do not want the
>>> "legacy" but an actual version. I miss a hint, where to go.
>>>
>>> Please compare with http://www.openoffice.org/download/archive.html,
>>> from where I took the sentence in my suggestion.
>>>
>>> I suggest to use the orange part as information box.
>>>
>>> Legacy OpenOffice.org
>>>
>>> If you are searching for the most recent installation set, please visit
>>> the <link>Apache OpenOffice download</link> webpage. Please note that
>>> archived builds are unsupported and may contain security issues. So,
>>> it's highly recommended not to use them but only when there is no other
>>> and better choice.
>>> OpenOffice.org is licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License
>>> v3 (LGPL v3)
>>>
>>> Download OpenOffice.org 3.3.0

>> Thanks for the hints. To do the HTML and JS stuff is easier than to find
>> the right words. ;-)
>>
>> Due to the CSS stuff I had to modify it a bit. I hope it's more clear now.
>>
>> Marcus
>
> I've edited both webpages again:
>
> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/legacy/index.html

I have only one criticism.

The phrase: "OpenOffice.org is licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License v3 (LGPL v3)" appears twice on the same button.

Otherwise great!

Regards,
Dave

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05/04/2012 06:17 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Rob Weir<ro...@apache.org>  wrote:

>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Distribution+Tasks

>> It
>> have

>> links.

>> is

>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/archive.html

>> that
>> So,

>> arrow

>> clicking

>> pointer to

>> page?

>>> fine...

>>> ...uh, OK, where do we get them???? I don't see anything like this right
>>> now in "dist" for example...
>>>

>> They are all over the place, in the individual NL directories, e.g.:
>>

>> http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/files/localized/ar/3.4.0/Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Linux_x86-64_langpack-deb_ar.tar.gz.md5
>>
>> It will be painful to create a page of all of these links:  6
>> platforms x 16 languages x 3 hashes
>>
>> We should probably have the script that generates all the hashes also
>> generate the HTML page that contains these links, or generate at least
>> the<table>.
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> Rob--
>
> OK, I see. Yeah, complicated...I think you should post this as a separate
> item to the list of starters. I'm wondering since they're named like the
> packages with additional extensions if we could somehow supply them (as
> separate DL links WITH the package), but a new table would be better...

Done. And I'll take over this task.

Marcus

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> platforms x 16 languages x 3 hashes
>
> We should probably have the script that generates all the hashes also
> generate the HTML page that contains these links, or generate at least
> the <table>.
>
> -Rob

Rob--

OK, I see. Yeah, complicated...I think you should post this as a separate
item to the list of starters. I'm wondering since they're named like the
packages with additional extensions if we could somehow supply them (as
separate DL links WITH the package), but a new table would be better...

> > I can do both of these changes tomorrow probably.
> >

> >> -Rob

> > --

> > MzK
> >
> > "Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
> >  And life has a funny way of helping you out

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Re: Distributing AOO 3.4: The 22 things we need to do before we announce

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Distribution+Tasks

> download

> ,

> License

> >> I've removed the link function and used the box just to show the
> >> infomational text. Therefore only a red color box without the big arrow
> >> pointing down on mouseover (compare with the green box).

> >> In CSS (.../legacy/exceptions.css) I've already set the mouse pointer to
> >> default - which should show as arrow - but this doesn't seem to work.
> :-(
> >

> > oh boy...the trials and tribulations of css
> >

> I wonder if it would be simpler to just put that info in a <p> and not
> have a box at all.  Boxes seem to lead the user to click.  It looks
> like a button.  So if we have nothing to click, then don't use a box.

> >> I think there was no idea mentioned yet. A link in the right nav bar
> >> should be enough - instead of a bigger colored box in the middle.
> >

> > OK, so how DO we want this linked in?
> >
> > Right now, we have --
> >

> > Searching for another version? Get all platforms, languages, language
> packs
> > | Release Notes | MD5 checksums
> >
> > in the light green DL button options section on:
> >
> > http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html
> >
> > the test DL page.
> >
> > Do we want to add something here, or add a it in the side menu
> someplace...
> >
> > ( and I just noticed some additional things I need to change there!
> oops!)
> >

> Oh, it looks much nicer now that the alerts are gone!
>
> One idea to support the legacy links:
>
> Right now we have three simple links under the top button:
>
> "Searching for another version? Get all platforms, languages, language
> packs | Release Notes | MD5 checksums"
>
> What if we shortened the first link, and added another one, like this:
>
> Other Platforms and Languages | Older Versions | Release Notes |
> Signatures and Hashes

fine...

> (note in this version I've changed "MD5 checksum" to "Signatures and
> Hashes" since the Apache releases come with 2 differnt hashes as well
> as a detached signature.   And that reminds me.... we'll need a page
> for that.

...uh, OK, where do we get them???? I don't see anything like this right
now in "dist" for example...

I can do both of these changes tomorrow probably.

> -Rob

> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Marcus
> >>

> > --
> > MzK
> >
> > "Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
> >  And life has a funny way of helping you out
> >  Helping you out."
> >                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Re: Distributing AOO 3.4: The 22 things we need to do before we announce

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05/04/2012 12:26 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Kay Schenk<ka...@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> I've removed the link function and used the box just to show the
>>> infomational text. Therefore only a red color box without the big arrow
>>> pointing down on mouseover (compare with the green box).

>>> In CSS (.../legacy/exceptions.css) I've already set the mouse pointer to
>>> default - which should show as arrow - but this doesn't seem to work. :-(
>>

>> oh boy...the trials and tribulations of css
>>

> I wonder if it would be simpler to just put that info in a<p>  and not
> have a box at all.  Boxes seem to lead the user to click.  It looks
> like a button.  So if we have nothing to click, then don't use a box.

Could be another way to do it. In any case I don't want to loose the red
color as it shows the user that this text is important.

>>> I think there was no idea mentioned yet. A link in the right nav bar
>>> should be enough - instead of a bigger colored box in the middle.
>>

>> OK, so how DO we want this linked in?
>>
>> Right now, we have --
>>

>> Searching for another version? Get all platforms, languages, language packs
>> | Release Notes | MD5 checksums
>>
>> in the light green DL button options section on:
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html
>>
>> the test DL page.
>>
>> Do we want to add something here, or add a it in the side menu someplace...
>>
>> ( and I just noticed some additional things I need to change there! oops!)
>>

> Oh, it looks much nicer now that the alerts are gone!
>
> One idea to support the legacy links:
>
> Right now we have three simple links under the top button:
>
> "Searching for another version? Get all platforms, languages, language
> packs | Release Notes | MD5 checksums"
>
> What if we shortened the first link, and added another one, like this:
>
> Other Platforms and Languages | Older Versions | Release Notes |
> Signatures and Hashes

Choices:

1) Integrate into the sub-green box as another link.

2) Put as separate link into the nav bar on the right hand side.

Other suggestions?

But +1 for "Signatures and Hashes" as it is now indeed more than just
MD5 sums.

Marcus

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:

> Am 05/04/2012 12:12 AM, schrieb Kay Schenk:

>>> I've removed the link function and used the box just to show the
>>> infomational text. Therefore only a red color box without the big arrow
>>> pointing down on mouseover (compare with the green box).
>>>
>>>  icon changed from an arrow to a hand when over that box, but clicking
>>>>

>>> In CSS (.../legacy/exceptions.css) I've already set the mouse pointer to
>>> default - which should show as arrow - but this doesn't seem to work. :-(
>>>

>> oh boy...the trials and tribulations of css
>>

> Yes, maybe someone else can enlighten me?

so sorry...I am not even close to being a css guru. :(

>  Do we know how this will be linked from the /download/index.html page?
>>>>

>>> I think there was no idea mentioned yet. A link in the right nav bar
>>> should be enough - instead of a bigger colored box in the middle.
>>>

>> OK, so how DO we want this linked in?
>>
>> Right now, we have --
>>

>> Searching for another version? Get all platforms, languages, language
>> packs | Release Notes | MD5 checksums
>>
>> in the light green DL button options section on:
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/**download/test/index_new_dl.**html<http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html>
>>
>> the test DL page.
>>
>> Do we want to add something here, or add a it in the side menu
>> someplace...
>>

> I would +1 to put it in the nav bar on the right hand side. An own sub
> headline is fine, too.
>
> Marcus
>

>  ( and I just noticed some additional things I need to change there! oops!)
>>

>>>  The other.html page looks and works fine.

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Marcus

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Re: Distributing AOO 3.4: The 22 things we need to do before we announce

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05/04/2012 12:34 AM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
> Am 05/04/2012 12:12 AM, schrieb Kay Schenk:

>>> I've removed the link function and used the box just to show the
>>> infomational text. Therefore only a red color box without the big arrow
>>> pointing down on mouseover (compare with the green box).

>>> In CSS (.../legacy/exceptions.css) I've already set the mouse pointer to
>>> default - which should show as arrow - but this doesn't seem to work.
>>> :-(
>>
>> oh boy...the trials and tribulations of css
>
> Yes, maybe someone else can enlighten me?

I've set the cursor default also in the "index.html". Now it's working.
No download link. No big arrow moving down. No mouse cursor as pointer.

This should be enough I think.

Marcus

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 05/03/2012 02:59 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 05/03/2012 11:33 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

>>> I've edited both webpages again:
>>>
>>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/legacy/index.html
>>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/legacy/other.html
>>>
>>> When I don't hear any further feedback I'll publish this as final.
>>>

>> On http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/legacy/index.html:
>>
>> I expected something to happen when I clicked on the "Get the legacy
>> OpenOffice.org" button. But nothing does. WinXP/Firefox 12.0. The
>
> I've removed the link function and used the box just to show the
> infomational text. Therefore only a red color box without the big arrow
> pointing down on mouseover (compare with the green box).
>
>> icon changed from an arrow to a hand when over that box, but clicking
>> does nothing. The other boxes work fine.
>
> In CSS (.../legacy/exceptions.css) I've already set the mouse pointer to
> default - which should show as arrow - but this doesn't seem to work. :-(

oh boy...the trials and tribulations of css

>> Do we know how this will be linked from the /download/index.html page?
>
> I think there was no idea mentioned yet. A link in the right nav bar
> should be enough - instead of a bigger colored box in the middle.

OK, so how DO we want this linked in?

Right now, we have --

Searching for another version? Get all platforms, languages, language
packs | Release Notes | MD5 checksums

in the light green DL button options section on:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html

the test DL page.

Do we want to add something here, or add a it in the side menu someplace...

( and I just noticed some additional things I need to change there! oops!)

>> The other.html page looks and works fine.

>> Good work!
>
> Thanks
>
> Marcus

MzK

  Helping you out."
                             -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Re: Distributing AOO 3.4: The 22 things we need to do before we announce

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05/03/2012 11:33 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Marcus (OOo)<ma...@wtnet.de>  wrote:

>>> Thanks for the hints. To do the HTML and JS stuff is easier than to find
>>> the right words. ;-)
>>>
>>> Due to the CSS stuff I had to modify it a bit. I hope it's more clear now.
>>>
>>> Marcus
>>

>> I've edited both webpages again:
>>
>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/legacy/index.html
>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/legacy/other.html
>>
>> When I don't hear any further feedback I'll publish this as final.
>>

> On http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/legacy/index.html:
>
>   I expected something to happen when I clicked on the "Get the legacy
> OpenOffice.org" button.  But nothing does.  WinXP/Firefox 12.0.  The

I've removed the link function and used the box just to show the
infomational text. Therefore only a red color box without the big arrow
pointing down on mouseover (compare with the green box).

> icon changed from an arrow to a hand when over that box, but clicking
> does nothing.  The other boxes work fine.

In CSS (.../legacy/exceptions.css) I've already set the mouse pointer to
default - which should show as arrow - but this doesn't seem to work. :-(

> Do we know how this will be linked from the /download/index.html page?

I think there was no idea mentioned yet. A link in the right nav bar
should be enough - instead of a bigger colored box in the middle.

> The other.html page looks and works fine.
>
> Good work!

Thanks

Marcus

Re: Distributing AOO 3.4: The 22 things we need to do before we announce

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05/04/2012 12:59 AM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
> Am 05/03/2012 11:54 PM, schrieb Regina Henschel:
>> Hi Marcus,
>>
>> Marcus (OOo) schrieb:

>>> I've edited both webpages again:
>>>
>>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/legacy/index.html
>>
>> Users are likely do not really know about the difference between OOo and
>> AOO. Therefore the wording "start downloading the most recent version"
>> might be misleading. You mean the most recent version of OOo, but the
>> user might think, the most recent version in general.
>>
>> Which version number the user is going to download, is said in the
>> heading. So the additional information about language and OS is
>> sufficient here. If many versions of a procuct are provided, the user
>> expects to get the most recent one when using default settings.

Thanks for looking so closely. You are right.

>> Suggestions
>> (1) Add "legacy"
>> "Click to start downloading the most recent legacy version for Windows
>> and German."
>> (2) or skip it totally
>> "Click to start downloading the legacy version for Windows and German.

I took this wording.

>> (3) or repeat the version string from the heading
>> "Click to start downloading OpenOffice.org 3.0 for Windows and German."
>>
>> I have played a little bit around with Opera. It seems, that it
>> struggles about the variables VERSION, MIRROR, SCHEMA. I assume that
>> they are global and not present in this staging version. Hopefully Opera

This shouldn't be the case as the version "3.3.0" comes from the
".../legacy/globalvars.js" and the colored boxes with icons from
".../legacy/exceptions.css". And these are already visible.

In the meantime the directory was published. Does it change for Opera now?

>> shows the green part too, when the page is produced.
>>
>> The orange disclaimer has anchor elements without target href. That
>> produces the hand-cursor in the browser, which indicates, that there is
>> a hyperlink. But here is no hyperlink and nothing happens, when
>> clicking. Therefore it it confusing. Please remove the anchor markup.

It's not possible to avoid the anchor elements as this is directly
connected to the CSS styling. So, when these would be missing than the
text is (IMHO) displayed with wrong color and left aligned. To correct
this in the CSS styling is out of my scope.

But in the meantime I've found another solution. I've just set the
cursor default again in the "index.html".

Marcus

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Marcus,

Marcus (OOo) schrieb:
> [...]

  "Click to start downloading the most recent legacy version for Windows
and German."
(2) or skip it totally
"Click to start downloading the legacy version for Windows and German.
(3) or repeat the version string from the heading
"Click to start downloading OpenOffice.org 3.0 for Windows and German."

I have played a little bit around with Opera. It seems, that it
struggles about the variables VERSION, MIRROR, SCHEMA. I assume that
they are global and not present in this staging version. Hopefully Opera
shows the green part too, when the page is produced.

The orange disclaimer has anchor elements without target href. That
produces the hand-cursor in the browser, which indicates, that there is
a hyperlink. But here is no hyperlink and nothing happens, when
clicking. Therefore it it confusing. Please remove the anchor markup.

Kind regards
Regina