Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org> on 2017/04/11 21:38:32 UTC

[DISCUSS] Extracting Stellar as a component/module

Hi all,
This is a new discussion thread, and if the proposed change is accepted by the community, it will be submitted to the next release, not the current 0.4.0 branch.

Stellar has 126 verbs today, and seems only likely to continue growing.  Furthermore, we expect Stellar to be extended by users, and probably grow into having one or more Registry/ Repositories, etc.  All this suggests that we should start viewing Stellar itself as a component, and make sure it is maintainable and has clean interfaces to the rest of the system.  And that will be easier if we extract it into its own module, both in the code tree and in maven.

I’ve written a combination proposal / discussion about how to extract Stellar from its current deep embed in Metron.  Comments are welcome, and encouraged.  Please read:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EP7Jt4ePHe2A-_oboLl2QbN1muh7uKeET_kbpIgjcJM/edit#heading=h.4vsrmths49wk

I believe I’ve set access so anyone can read and comment on it.  However, google docs may still ask you log in with a google-registered email address.  If this is a problem for anyone, let me know and I can send you a Word document.

Thanks,
--Matt

Re: [DISCUSS] Extracting Stellar as a component/module

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.
I'm ok with google docs as long as when consensus is reached, it lives in
the wiki.