Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Runping Qi <ru...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2006/04/03 23:04:37 UTC

Can we use the features that are new in Java 1.5 for Hadoop contribution?

In other words, does Hadoop need to be compatible with Java 1.4?

Thanks.

Runping

Re: Can we use the features that are new in Java 1.5 for Hadoop contribution?

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@media-style.com>.
It would be nice to have, nothing more.
Hadoop 0.2 will introduce some features that can be very useful for
nutch.
Nutch is mostly used as smaller  horizontal search engines or
alternatives to google appliance servers.
In such scenarios I saw often that it runs on the same servers as the
portal or webpage that still use java 1.4.
Again, nice to have - no requirement.

Stefan

blog: http://www.find23.org
company: http://www.media-style.com

Re: Can we use the features that are new in Java 1.5 for Hadoop contribution?

Posted by Eric Baldeschwieler <er...@yahoo-inc.com>.
why?

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@media-style.com>.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Runping Qi wrote:
> I am thinking of the parameterized collection library.

I.e., generics, so there's no easy backport strategy.  Thus we need to
poll Hadoop and Nutch users.

Doug

RE: Can we use the features that are new in Java 1.5 for Hadoop contribution?

Posted by Runping Qi <ru...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.