Posted to community@apache.org by Adrian Sutton <ad...@intencha.com> on 2004/06/21 08:53:42 UTC

About party@

Hi all,
I've recently (ie: 2-3 days ago) been told that I'm heading off to Java
One at the end of the week and thought it would be worth checking the
party@ list to see what gatherings had been organized etc.  Two
questions:

1. Is the party@ list closed?  My subscribe request got the confirm
subscription email back but then nothing further (using my intencha.com
address instead of my apache.org address).

2. Are there archives anywhere?  I haven't been able to find any as yet
though I suspect I might be able to use the party-request address to
get at them if I can subscribe.

Thanks,

Adrian Sutton.

Intencha "tomorrow's technology today"
Ph: 38478913 0422236329
Suite 8/29 Oatland Crescent
Holland Park West 4121
Australia QLD
www.intencha.com

Re: About party@

Posted by David Reid <da...@jetnet.co.uk>.
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Adrian Sutton wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I've recently (ie: 2-3 days ago) been told that I'm heading off to Java
One
> > at the end of the week and thought it would be worth checking the party@
list
> > to see what gatherings had been organized etc.  Two questions:
> >
> > 1. Is the party@ list closed?  My subscribe request got the confirm
> > subscription email back but then nothing further (using my intencha.com
> > address instead of my apache.org address).
>
> David Reid is the moderator; it's quite possible he's been offline for a
> stretch and simply forgot to ask for someone to cover him.  I'll fill in
> for a bit.  I don't see a queue of pending subscription requests (though
> there is a queue of pending messages to be approved), so please resend
> your subscription request, and I'll catch it.

No, I'm around. I haven't gotten round to checking that email address yet.
If you use a non-apache address then that's fine, it just means I have to
ssh in to check who you are that you are entitled :-) Hence it involves a
slight delay.

It was on my list of things to do this afternoon :-)

BTW, I only got one request through and that was about 3 hours ago.

> > 2. Are there archives anywhere?  I haven't been able to find any as yet
> > though I suspect I might be able to use the party-request address to get
at
> > them if I can subscribe.
>
> It's not archived, either inside ezmlm or on the web sites.  I believe
> that's intentional, as its purpose is ephemeral anyways, but I don't know
> for sure.

It's intentional for sure. Think about what you discuss on the list and it
should become obvious why.

david

Re: About party@

Posted by Adrian Sutton <ad...@intencha.com>.
On 21/06/2004, at 5:07 PM, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Adrian Sutton wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I've recently (ie: 2-3 days ago) been told that I'm heading off to
>> Java One at the end of the week and thought it would be worth
>> checking the party@ list to see what gatherings had been organized
>> etc.  Two questions:
>>
>> 1. Is the party@ list closed?  My subscribe request got the confirm
>> subscription email back but then nothing further (using my
>> intencha.com address instead of my apache.org address).
>
> David Reid is the moderator; it's quite possible he's been offline for
> a stretch and simply forgot to ask for someone to cover him.  I'll
> fill in for a bit.  I don't see a queue of pending subscription
> requests (though there is a queue of pending messages to be approved),
> so please resend your subscription request, and I'll catch it.

Thanks Brian.  Request resent (not PGP signed to avoid the small
possibility that the mailing list software doesn't like that).

>> 2. Are there archives anywhere?  I haven't been able to find any as
>> yet though I suspect I might be able to use the party-request address
>> to get at them if I can subscribe.
>
> It's not archived, either inside ezmlm or on the web sites.  I believe
> that's intentional, as its purpose is ephemeral anyways, but I don't
> know for sure.

That makes sense I suppose though it's unfortunate for disorganized
people like me who come along at the last minute. :)

> JavaOne should be fun.  Looks like I'll be on a general session panel
> debating Open Source Java with Gosling and others.

Yes I'm very much looking forward to it.  It'll be my first trip to the
US, first major conference and the first chance I'll have to actually
meet some of the other Apache people.

> 	Brian

Regards,

Re: About party@