Posted to user@whirr.apache.org by Xiaomeng Wan <sh...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/21 21:42:47 UTC

whirr on rackspace

Hi,
I am trying to use whirr to start a hadoop cluster on rackspace. I
couldn't find any instructions for rackspace online, so I just
followed the quick start. When I launch the cluster, it gives the
following message saying the namenode is shutdown.

/************************************************************
SHUTDOWN_MSG: Shutting down NameNode at xxxx

If I try to run the wordcount example, it gives connection refused errors.

Is there any other config I should setup in hadoop.properties for it
to work with rackspace? I am using 0.7.1.

Thanks!
Shawn

Re: whirr on rackspace

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.
Here is the recipe I've just tried and seems to be working fine for me with
Whirr 0.7.1:

whirr.cluster-name=hadoop-asavu
whirr.instance-templates=1 hadoop-namenode+hadoop-jobtracker,1
hadoop-datanode+hadoop-tasktracker

# Uncomment out these lines to run CDH
whirr.hadoop.install-function=install_cdh_hadoop
whirr.hadoop.configure-function=configure_cdh_hadoop

# For Rackspace set RACKSPACE_USERNAME and RACKSPACE_API_KEY environment
variables.
whirr.provider=cloudservers-uk
whirr.identity=${env:RACKSPACE_USERNAME}
whirr.credential=${env:RACKSPACE_API_KEY}

Please notice that the order of the roles is different in
whirr.instance-templates.

Cheers,

-- Andrei Savu / axemblr.com / Tools for Clouds

Re: whirr on rackspace

Posted by Xiaomeng Wan <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrei,

Re: whirr on rackspace