Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Michal Kaut <m_...@hotmail.com> on 2006/08/04 11:59:09 UTC

problems with svnserve and SVNService on WinXP SP2

Hello,

I have just downloaded Subversion (v.1.3.2) onto my WinXP SP2 and have
one question and one problem, possibly connected:

When I run "svnserve -d -r ...", it leaves the cmd.exe open, making it
rather impractical to run it all the time. Is this a normal behaviour?

I then tried to make svnserve run as a service using two different
versions of SVNService, but neither worked (even though both claimed to
have installed the service):
- SVNService from http://clanlib.org/~mbn/svnservice/ installs the
service, but does not start it. When I try to start it manually, I get a
message "The SVNService on Local Computer started and stopped. Some
services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the
Performance Logs and Alert Services."
- SVNServiceDT from
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/files/documents/406/29202/SVNServiceDT.zip
behaves similarly (i.e. installs but does not start), only that the
error message when trying to start it is different: "Windows could not
start the SVNService on Local Computer. For more information, review the
System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the
service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 1."
(I must admit I did not check the System Event Log, as I do not know
where to find it.)
- In both cases, when I look at the properties of the services using
Administrative Tools->Services, the "Start parameters" box is empty.

Anybody has an idea what has gone wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Michal Kaut

Re: problems with svnserve and SVNService on WinXP SP2

Posted by Michal Kaut <m_...@hotmail.com>.
DJ & si,

thanks for the help.

I have not found the error (no spaces in paths, all dlls in their place
and in the PATH), but I can live with running the svnserve in the window
for a moment and wait for the 1.4 release...

Regards,
Michal

Re: problems with svnserve and SVNService on WinXP SP2

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com>.
On 8/4/06, Michal Kaut <m_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just downloaded Subversion (v.1.3.2) onto my WinXP SP2 and have
> one question and one problem, possibly connected:
>
> When I run "svnserve -d -r ...", it leaves the cmd.exe open, making it
> rather impractical to run it all the time. Is this a normal behaviour?

Yes.  Native Windows service support will be in 1.4.x.

> I then tried to make svnserve run as a service using two different
> versions of SVNService, but neither worked (even though both claimed to
> have installed the service):
> - SVNService from http://clanlib.org/~mbn/svnservice/ installs the
> service, but does not start it. When I try to start it manually, I get a
> message "The SVNService on Local Computer started and stopped. Some
> services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the
> Performance Logs and Alert Services."
> - SVNServiceDT from
> http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/files/documents/406/29202/SVNServiceDT.zip
> behaves similarly (i.e. installs but does not start), only that the
> error message when trying to start it is different: "Windows could not
> start the SVNService on Local Computer. For more information, review the
> System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the
> service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 1."
> (I must admit I did not check the System Event Log, as I do not know
> where to find it.)
> - In both cases, when I look at the properties of the services using
> Administrative Tools->Services, the "Start parameters" box is empty.
>

> Anybody has an idea what has gone wrong?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance.

I haven't used any of those service wrappers myself, but it sounds
like required support DLL's (libapr*.dll, libdb*.dll, libeay32.dll,
ssleay32.dll, intl3_svn.dll, etc.) may be missing or not found in the
same directory as the svnserve.exe or in the SYSTEM path somewhere.
It could also be the service hasn't been configured correctly somehow.
 Note also that 1.4.x has native Windows service support built-in to
svnserve.exe -- see:

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/windows-service.txt

DJ

Re: problems with svnserve and SVNService on WinXP SP2

Posted by Andy Peters <de...@latke.net>.
Michal Kaut wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just downloaded Subversion (v.1.3.2) onto my WinXP SP2 and have
> one question and one problem, possibly connected:
>
> When I run "svnserve -d -r ...", it leaves the cmd.exe open, making it
> rather impractical to run it all the time. Is this a normal behaviour?
>
> I then tried to make svnserve run as a service using two different
> versions of SVNService, but neither worked (even though both claimed to
> have installed the service):
> - SVNService from http://clanlib.org/~mbn/svnservice/ installs the
> service, but does not start it. When I try to start it manually, I get a
> message "The SVNService on Local Computer started and stopped. Some
> services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the
> Performance Logs and Alert Services."
> - SVNServiceDT from
> http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/files/documents/406/29202/SVNServiceDT.zip
> behaves similarly (i.e. installs but does not start), only that the
> error message when trying to start it is different: "Windows could not
> start the SVNService on Local Computer. For more information, review the
> System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the
> service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 1."
> (I must admit I did not check the System Event Log, as I do not know
> where to find it.)
> - In both cases, when I look at the properties of the services using
> Administrative Tools->Services, the "Start parameters" box is empty.

FWIW, I've been using SVNService for over a year and it Just Works.
Here's how I have it configured (SVNService Properties) in the Windows
Services thingie.  All of these settings were the defaults.

General Tab:
Service Name: SVNService
Display Name: SVNService
Startup type: Automatic

Log On Tab:
Log On As: Local System account ("Allow service to interact with
desktop" NOT selected)
You can enable or disable this service for the hardware profiles listed
below:
Hardware profile: Profile 1     Service: Enabled
(I have only one hardware profile, the default Profile 1)

Recovery Tab:
All failures set to Take No Action.

Dependencies:
None.

Maybe you've got several hardware profiles and SVNService is disabled in
the one you've currently selected?

-a

Re: problems with svnserve and SVNService on WinXP SP2

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com>.
On 8/6/06, si <ss...@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> > http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/windows-service.txt
>
> Nice to see this in 1.4, but I'm a little surprised that only the LocalSystem
> account is mentioned.  We've been running svnserve under Local Service
> for over a year now and I believe it (or Network Service) are preferred, due
> to their reduced privileges when compared to LocalSystem.
[snip]

Yes, running any service as a least-priviledges-required user is a
good idea on any operating system.

DJ

Re: problems with svnserve and SVNService on WinXP SP2

Posted by si <ss...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michal,

> (I must admit I did not check the System Event Log, as I do not know
> where to find it.)

Start -> All Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management
(or just right click on my computer and select manage)

System Tools -> Event Viewer -> System

Hard to tell without reading that error, but if your path to the repository
root has spaces in it, ensure it is quoted when configuring the service.

I gather running svnserve without a service was working as expected?
(i.e. you could checkout/update/commit)

> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/windows-service.txt

Nice to see this in 1.4, but I'm a little surprised that only the LocalSystem
account is mentioned.  We've been running svnserve under Local Service
for over a year now and I believe it (or Network Service) are preferred, due
to their reduced privileges when compared to LocalSystem.

http://tinyurl.com/cfwa8
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/serversecurity/serviceaccount/default.mspx

I appreciate exploits for Subversion are few and far between (I can only
recall reading about one, and that was several years ago now), but
LocalSystem has Administrator rights if an exploit is found.

peace
si