Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2005/09/19 02:10:38 UTC

[poll] weekly betas - how can we approach it?

We talked earlier about trying to do more regular releases, and now
thing we are in a position to do that.

I'd like to try doing weekly betas (next Monday, and then each week
following that up to a final release). This would encourage a bit more
stability and accountability week to week, and facilitate more community
testing than publishing nightlies.

This would be for the m2 core - plugins will get individual release
votes whenever they are ready.

This is doable, and just requires the official vote each time with 3
binding PMC votes.

The question is, do we have extended votes for feedback (72 hours), or
short votes? If we have extended votes, do we vote on code currently
available and release something 3 days old, or vote on the date and
trust the release manager to make sure the code is sane?

The options I see are:
- vote for 72 hours, release code from time of original vote
- vote for 72 hours, release code at close of vote
- vote on having weekly releases now, then vote on a release at the
designated time, based on testing of that particular release, closing
the vote after a shorter period (requiring 3 binding votes and
considering any issues raised).

Feel free to add your own options, voice opinions, "vote" for one of
these options.

My preference is for the last one, where if I am doing the releases I
would open the vote Monday evening, giving Monday in the day for most
parts of the world to test and vote and pushing up/announcing the
release the following afternoon (Tuesday morning most places).

Cheers,
Brett

Re: [poll] weekly betas - how can we approach it?

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

I'd prefer the final option, as well. I think we're going to be working
closely enough to keep the lines of communication open for things that
need to be discussed without having a 72 hour window for a vote, and if
the fix doesn't make it into a particular release, hey - we can wait a week.

john