Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by user9876 <ja...@googlemail.com> on 2010/01/15 15:16:49 UTC

conduit subscriptions (network of brokers)

I understand that for topics it is advisable to keep the
conduitSubscriptions=true to avoid duplicate messages.  I have been trying
to run some tests to show the duplicated messages etc.

I have set up 3 brokers:

a -> b -> c

with a producer on a sending one message

and 3 consumers which I have been moving between the different brokers to
test the effect on duplications.

>From the forum post at
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/activemq-users/200908.mbox/<3a...@mail.gmail.com>
it seems that with 3 consumers and 3 brokers I should be receiving 12
messages at each consumer.  I am not getting this result but I think this is
due to an upgrade in 5.3 (I am currently testing a 5.4 snapshot if that
makes a difference).  If this is the case could you please explain how you
reduced the growth of duplicates.

My main concern however is that I don't seem to be able to get a consistent
number of duplicate messages.  If I set up the three brokers as above and
all the consumers are on broker C with the publisher on A, Each consumer
receives an inconsistent number of messages each time I run the test.  I
would have expected the consumers to each receive 3 messages and hence 9
total.  My results generally switch between 1 message per consumer to 3
messages.

Before I set up the network connectors I do brokerA.waituntilstarted() for
each broker and and then I add the network connectors and sleep for 2
seconds just to make sure that everything has definitely started up before I
start producing and consuming.

It is important that I can report on this issue asap.  It is the
inconsistency that I do not understand and would like clarified if possible.
Thank you.